Hoping to do own build

Simac 19:59 05 Aug 03

I am looking to build a basic PC from scratch
and would be looking to budget between £350-400..

My problem is knowing what parts to get and making
sure I get them to be compatible!!!

I have seen in a PC magazine a Motherboard SocketA
(ECS L7VTA) priced £41 apparently a good buy so I
am led to believe my worry is what to put with it in terms of CPU, memory (256mb??), graphics card, sound card, a decent case(midi-tower)

Could anyone give me advice and if they know of this particular Motherboard...

snoresloudly 21:17 05 Aug 03

Depends a great deal on what you want to get from it, I built my own system from scratch early this year, knew I didn't want to play the most demanding games etc but wanted a fairly fast machine went to PCW and talked to an assistant who seemed to know what he was talking about and ended up buying a ASUS TUSL2-C mobo and a intel celeron 1g processor with a 34mb graphics card and memory and 40gb h/d, new tower case and cd-rw all for about £300 all from the "brown box" range, already had the keyboard/mouse/monitor etc so saved a few quid. No probs putting together and a great sense of satisfaction at the end!! Without the advice of the guy at PCW it might have been different!.
(god sounding like gandolf now)!!!
Min I would go for is 40 gb h/d (£50ish) cd-rw (£30ish)dvd drive (£35ish) as much memory as you can stuff in and either 32md graphics (£35ish) or 64mb modem £10 mobo/processor to your choice! case worked out @ £25
I know that alot of people will disagree and say what a dinosaur etc! but it suits me, run win me networked on broadband and no probs so far!!!!

Simac 21:58 05 Aug 03

I maybe have the mobo sorted.. looked in latest editon of micromart they recommend an ECS L7VTA
at a cost of £41 type Socket A as pretty decent.
I don't understand the Northbridge jargon does this mean I need a CPU that matches with the Northbridge this being VIA KT400..if so what make of CPU would be compatible??? as for memory I was going to go for 256mb ram (DDR333) and either a Maxtor or Western Digital at 60g, all this just for a fast PC not for playing games on...

trinity 22:15 05 Aug 03

When choosing the motherboard, spend as much as you can afford, search for the ones you like on forums specific to motherboards, rather than taking reviews at face value. See what problems others have had etc.

Decide what you want from the motherboard, AMD or Pentium etc? Onboard grapics + or - a AGP port (allows you to upgrade later)
An option for Raid, Lan, USB 2 etc.

You may thing the most basic board meets your needs, but hardware is improving so fast that an uptodate board is out of date a few months later.

You can skimp on other parts and upgrade bit by bit, but without a decent motherboard you will be stuck.

Good luck.

TECHNODIMWIT 22:19 05 Aug 03

socket a supports amd athlon/duron.

click here

plenty of choice for cpu`s

Mr-Alive 00:27 06 Aug 03

click here

I put all together all the bits needed to build a computer includes a monitor 15ins and Win Xp Home OEM

I Did this in a rush so any mistakes please don't moan

Total £469.20

Mr-Alive 00:37 06 Aug 03

opps add that to the cost

MSI 52x Internal IDE CD-ROM Drive - OEM £8.85

TOTAL this time £479.60

mark e 07:53 07 Aug 03

check out motherbords.org for reviews etc

961 11:25 07 Aug 03

click here

suggest gigabyte motherboard and AMD processor, 256 memory and video card about £65

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…