Honda Jazz

Snec 15:23 19 Sep 09

My 17 year old grandson rang me last night at 9.45pm to talk about a secondhand car and wanted me to look at a website with him. He has just passed his test.

I told him I couldn't look just then as I was at a critical time in an online poker tournament.

As a joke I told him I'd buy him a car if I won. Well, I didn't win but, at 0800 hours this morning, I got knocked out in 12th place.
For this $28,000 was added to my account. So I'll buy him a car anyway.

The reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone has a Honda Jazz (his dream car, I think) and has it turned out to be what you expected.

Are they any good?

interzone55 15:41 19 Sep 09

I've never owned a Jazz, but they regularly appear in the top 5 of the reliability surveys.

I nearly bought one 3 years ago but plumped for a Skoda Fabia instead, which was cheaper, felt a bit sturdier to me, and has caused me no problems whatsoever.

2009 JD Power Survey results...

click here

flycatcher1 16:43 19 Sep 09

I have had a Jazz for over three years.
Well made, in Japan, soon to be made in Swindon.
Very user friendly interior but, and this is a big but, The ride is not good on normal Oxfordshire roads maybe they are better in Japan.
You get used to it and handling is not affected.
Apart from the ride I can find no fault with the car except that it does not have a intermittent rear wipe. ie just on or off. Mpg mid 40s, 50s available if performance not used.
My next car, if I get one, will be a UK made Jazz.
A more suitable car for a 17 year is one like my wife's - a C Reg Mini Mayfair.

I am nearly 80 and the Jazz is OK for me for a 17 year old never in a month of Sundays!

Stuartli 16:52 19 Sep 09

>>A more suitable car for a 17 year is one like my wife's - a C Reg Mini Mayfair.>>

If it's an original Mini Mayfair, rather than the new Mayfair and Camden, then it's worth seriously considering the safety levels if involved in an accident (most likely to occur with new drivers).

The Mini is a wonderful car to drive, but the originals don't have the built-in safety measures of today's vehicles.

Stuartli 16:59 19 Sep 09

Don't forget the cost of insurance faced by young drivers...:-)

Stuartli 16:59 19 Sep 09

Don't forget the cost of insurance faced by young drivers...:-)

interzone55 17:03 19 Sep 09

"If it's an original Mini Mayfair, rather than the new Mayfair and Camden, then it's worth seriously considering the safety levels if involved in an accident (most likely to occur with new drivers)."

I have a wheelchair bound friend who will confirm the veracity of that statement.

Having said that, a 1980 Mini was my first car, and is still the most enjoyable car I have ever driven...

Dae 18:05 19 Sep 09

I have had a Jazz for the past four years. The only complaint I have is that the ride is far too harsh; going over poor road surfaces you feel the bumps too much which can be quite upsetting.

The original Jazz is worst. About four years ago there was a modification to the body style, and the ride quality was at the same time supposed to have improved. A few months ago there was a new model Jazz and the ride quality was supposed to be even better, but to me the improvement is so small that the ride is still unacceptable. When I change my car, it will not be for another Jazz simply because it is too unpleasant going over road imperfections. The car is mechanically very well built and I have had no breakdowns. Just a pity about the harsh ride.

TopCat® 18:26 19 Sep 09

become uneconomical to repair then I would have considered the Honda Jazz. However, I needn't have worried because at eighteen years from new it sailed through its test.

A neighbour across from me has a three year old Jazz and it's just failed its first MoT test with a faulty screenwash motor. Part ordered by the surprised dealer and is now fitted and the lady is back on the road.

The one irritation I have with her Jazz is that the radiator fan runs all the time the engine is running, irrespective of ambient and engine temperatures. Maybe flycatcher1 can confirm for me that the same occurs on his Jazz as well? TC.

IClaudio 19:04 19 Sep 09

I've driven several Jazz'es over the past couple of years and they are a great little car, especially if you can get the one with gear-change paddles on the steering wheel.

flycatcher1 23:18 19 Sep 09

Top Cat
I will check on my fan tomorrow, the engine is very, very quiet.
Alan 14
We appreciate that the Mini is not the safest car on the road but our annual mileage is so low (about 550 miles) that, at our age, we can take the risk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…