Home phones why are they not wireless.

Ex plorer 15:49 20 Feb 14
Answered

Why do we still need phone lines (Land Lines), most things travel by wireless signal one way or another today.

Mobile phones etc, can communicate around the world from satellites, as with TVs TomToms etc. they just need power .

Yet our home phones have to be wired, overhead and under ground and Internets need wired modems before we can go wireless in the home.

Will it always be this way, it was just a thought that a-cured to me.

wiz-king 17:32 20 Feb 14

In a word -- reliability.

morddwyd 19:25 20 Feb 14

"Yet our home phones have to be wired, overhead and under ground and Internets need wired modems before we can go wireless in the home."

Well, if they weren't they'd be mobiles!

Woolwell 20:26 20 Feb 14
Answer

Reliability, speed and mobile coverage are the main factors. If you lived in a mainly rural area then you may only have a land line that works all the time. I can lose mobile signal within a mile of home.

chub_tor 12:43 22 Feb 14

Quite a few homes don't have landlines, several of my family members and quite a lot of friends have abandoned their landlines and rely entirely on mobile signals for calls and data. Not a trend that I like as I have to pay more for calls to a mobile than to a landline.

Forum Editor 13:30 22 Feb 14

chub_tor

Those people obviously don't have, or need a fast broadband connection. I use my mobile phone for all my calls, but I still have a landline for internet access.

BT 17:40 22 Feb 14

Not a trend that I like as I have to pay more for calls to a mobile than to a landline.

I'm with you on that one. Why should I have to pay more to contact someone on their mobile. My landline deal has free calls at certain times to other landlines, but I have to pay mobile rates to call mobile phones at all times. I'm afraid that if anyone offering a service (builders, plumbers etc.) only advertise a mobile number they don't even get considered.

Batch 13:05 25 Feb 14

I'm with BT on this. Whole host of reasons LL are better:

• I can hear phone ring anywhere around house / in garden without having the damn thing surgically attached.

• Call quality is far superior. Mobys still seem to suffer from breakdown of signal so much of the time.

• Reliability.

• Speed (for Internet).

• Free calls to landlines at any time.

• Calling a business on a landline tends to mean they are readily traceable. Why would I deal with a business that has only a moby number and no address?

BT 17:28 25 Feb 14

I have to pay more for calls to a mobile than to a landline.

The only exception in my case is that as I have a Virgin landline I can also call Virgin mobiles for free during my free call times. This is quite handy as my mobile and those of a couple of family members are also on the Virgin system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017