Home Air-Con units

iqs 13:37 27 Feb 14

Hi My mother who has health issues,which are worse come the summer,is looking to purchase a portable air-con unit.

Does any of the forum members have any experience/advice & recommendations on what we should be looking for ? Thank you

spuds 14:46 27 Feb 14

Depending on what the health issues are, I would suggest that you or your mother contacts an appropriate authority on this issue.

I occasionally use a 'Homedics Professional HEPA Air Purifier', which is suppose to 'remove 99.97% of airborne particles and allergens' from any areas the unit is working in. But to be completely honest, I am still testing the unit to see if it reaches my expectations!.

TV-Repairman 17:19 28 Feb 14

It depends on the exact nature of the "health issues". Are you wanting to cool the air, dehumidify it, remove dust/pollen or ... ?

onthelimit1 14:41 01 Mar 14

Most of the free standing ones we had at work generated cool air, but hot air came out the back through a hose! What they did do, though, was extract the water which made the air less humid and therefore more comfortable.

iqs 15:27 01 Mar 14

Hi, Thanks for the help. Basically my mother require a device which cools down the room/house . The hot air affects her breathing . She has fans,but they are limited,we thought a potable air-con unit would be better suited . Thanks

Batch 14:45 02 Mar 14

I have two portable a/c units (for bedroom use as the design of our house means the bedroom gets pretty hot). One is a Toshiba and about 20 or so years old. There weren't many around back then and so it wasn't cheap (about £750 even back then I seem to recollect). It doesn't dehumidify as such (one actually has to FILL the water tank in it as water is used in the cooling process and the heat extracted from the room is carried away (by tube out of the window) in the water vapour. Apart from the fact that the extraction tube is quite a bit narrower than the "other" type, there's not a lot to recommend it (maybe it is a bit quieter as well.).

The other one I have is of the "other" type which extracts moisture from the air (as well as cooling). Was about £140 from Currys. Water is collected in a tank that needs emptying from time to time. Big exhaust tube (out of the window). Its pretty noisy.

With both of them I made a baffle to fit the open window so as not to allow hot air back in from the outside.

They use a fair amount of power.

To be quite honest, unless it is really hot a decent ceiling fan (ideally with a remote control) can achieve quite good levels of comfort. Lot quieter than a/c. Lot less power. We have one in the bedroom now and wish we'd done it years ago. Has 5 large blades, about 1m in diameter; 3 speeds. It's not a fancy ornate one, but a pracical solution. Hardly ever use the a/c units now (haven't even wheeled them out of the cupboard for last couple of years).

Alternative is a through the wall a/c. B&Q and the like do some reasonably priced ones. No experience of them though. Needs installation and suitable wall space (inside & out) to fit the units.

Batch 15:17 02 Mar 14

As far as I can tell, this is the current version of the ceiling fan that I have B&Q

Woolwell 18:25 02 Mar 14

In my experience portable coolers, not air conditioners, are fairly cheap but not very good. They don't do much more than a fan and have to be topped up with water and kept clean.

The problem with a portable air-con unit is the exhaust and where to run it and the weight.

Have a look at last year's review Daily Mail

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…