Holly Computers Ltd - Any comments?

Silverbeard 14:45 06 Feb 04

Hello
It's nice to see the sun again after all that rain.

Has anyone any experience of Holly Computers Ltd, hollycomputers.co.uk ? I'm considering ordering one of their "Whisper Quiet" systems:-

10 bay black aluminium case
Ram - 512Mb PC3200
Graphics - 256Mb Gainward FX5200 Pro 680
MoBo - Asus A7N8X DLX
HDD - IDE 120Gb Hitachi/IBM
Warranty - 3 Year on site parts and labour. I don't know how they organise the "on site" - I need to check on that as I live quite a distance from them.
Monitor - 17" Ilyama ProLite E431S-B TFT LCD
Options to change basic spec using online "configururator". I shall change the PSU to 400W, and speakers to Altec Lansing 2100 stereo plus sub woofer.

Base Price £980.80 plus VAT. A bit pricey perhaps, but the monitor accounts for a good bit.

I was on the point of firming up a spec for self build, then had a bad fall jumping out of the way of a reversing van. That was two months ago and the shoulder is still not good. When you reach the status of a silver beard, healing is a lot slower, and I passed the three score and ten goal posts a good while ago - well into extra time now. My trusty Gateway 233 is badly in need of replacement. So it looks as though I am going to have to buy. There has to be an end to procrastination!

Would be grateful for any comments on both Holly and the spec. I picked up a solitary mention of Holly on this forum but can't find it again!

Happy New Year!

Robert

Rayuk 15:54 06 Feb 04

As an aside regarding your choice of monitor,I have been extremely lucky to have received a Silver model,the unfortunate part is stand was missing from the box but 1 e-mail to Iiyama and one on its way to me.

Just rambling on there, my main point is that these monitors are in short supply at the moment and new stock may not be about till March,I would make a special check on whether they actually have them in stock first.

Silverbeard 14:45 07 Feb 04

Rayuk
That shortage is worth knowing - thank you.

Robert

Lok 12:04 09 Feb 04

click here

Hey Silverbeard - posted a response in this thread.

JerryJay 13:11 09 Feb 04

If they use Hitachi/IBM harddisk, I do not think that they can make the computer "Whisper Quiet". I used IBM HD before, only noticed it makes big noise when I replaced it with a large Segate HD.

JerryJay 13:17 09 Feb 04

As you got a nice LCD monitor, you may consider to have a VGA card with DVI port (better picture). Make sure you go for a fanless one if you want quiet machine.

db0967 15:18 09 Feb 04

Hello Silverbeard. I ordered a new system from Holly on the 28th Jan. Up until Friday I hadn't had any feedback (except an order confirmation) so I called for a progress update. Staff were very helpful and knowledgeable, and explained a serious shortage of Prolite screens. Apparently they are waiting for a delivery on the 27th Feb. This means that the 7 to 14 day delivery quoted on the website is a bit on the optimistic side.
I don't know if they would have called to tell me about this or not, and the order tracking facility on their website has been dormant since I placed the order. Lack of feedback aside, they seem OK so far. It's always frustrating having to wait for stuff, but it is outside of their control. I'll let you know what the system is like when I get it. (I odered the KA-M3D by the way.)
Regards,
David.

Silverbeard 17:35 09 Feb 04

Many thanks for the comments everyone - most helpful. I will take a bit of time to think about them.
It seems to add up pretty positive so far, it looks as though I may well order from them.

Robert

E3 19:48 10 Feb 04

Let us know how you get on with them, I'm also considering purchasing a system from this company.

Silverbeard 05:38 11 Feb 04

E3

I certainly will let you know what happens. I'm afraid it won't be a quick response, though. I'm in no hurry to place the order until they have Ilyama Monitors in stock. And I want to take a little time to firm up the configuration. And of course my tendency to procrastination will come into play!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…