Hive mind req'd for gaming computer

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:07 24 Jan 07

A friend of mine wants to buy a computer for her son. She does not need the monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. only the tower which must have an operating system (XP Home). Her son has a few games that he wpould like to play. I realise that with her budget we are not talking super gaming computer but all he needs is for the games to run in a reasonable fashion.

Money is fairly tight and £500 is the max..pref. cheape but I think that may be pushing it. So the task is this...are there any towers c/w XP OS (no need to be Vista), for around £400-500 that could run games reasonably?...naturally PCWorld would be a better option as I can buy toweers without the monitors, this reduces the advertised price by around £150.

The tower does not need to have all the 'bells and whistles' or a huuuuuuge HD and if I can get away with integrated graphics all the better.

G

Kate B 11:15 24 Jan 07

Games aren't going to run "in a reasonable fashion" with integrated graphics.

dagbladet 11:54 24 Jan 07

These any good. This shop is excellent. Delivery is I believe £10.

click here

I am Spartacus 12:06 24 Jan 07

If you reduce the specs on this one from Komplett you can get it down to just over £500 click here

Just in case the link doesn't work it's the Komplett AMD Gamer.

I'm not a gamer myself so am not sure whether the spec is sufficient.

wjrt 12:54 24 Jan 07

click here

slightly over budget at about 530 inc delivery.perhaps an avid gamer could comment on games playing ability but core 2 duo processor and 7600gt graphics

Totally-braindead 13:53 24 Jan 07

Depends on the games GANDALF <|:-)> as I'm sure you realise. Onboard is not a good idea, have to agree with Kate B its not really an option.
I like the Novatech bundles as wjrt has already mentioned. You could buy one of the cheaper units as long as it has a PCI Express slot and buy a card later if you wish.
I'm a bit of a gamer, not hard core, but have a 7600GS graphics card available for about the £80 mark and it plays everything that has come out so far at 1024x768.
If you did buy a onboard graphics PC without the option to upgrade the graphics and it was intended for use in playing games I feel certain that it would be a dissapointment and I am sure that some of the games the kid wished to try would not work on it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:08 24 Jan 07

Hmmmm...kind of figured that the budget was a little low and that integrated graphics would be as much use another passport for Judith Chalmers...I'll try and find out what games he has.

G

Totally-braindead 14:26 24 Jan 07

GANDALF <|:-)> you can get a gaming PC for £500 as long as you don't want to go beserk and try running newer games at very high resolutions.
Theres was someone yesterday asking about a PC that was £500 and that would be fine.
Here it is click here has 1 gig memory, 7600GS graphics card, dual core processor. Admitadly some of the extras are overkill, tv tuner, card reader etc but that would play games ok.
Never said where he saw it though, PCW perhaps.

Totally-braindead 14:31 24 Jan 07

Should have said, the spec he listed includes a 19" widescreen monitor, if you can knock that off its even cheaper.
Might be worth asking him where he saw it.

keef66 10:42 25 Jan 07

The Novatech unit wjrt linked to is the kind of thing I would go for. Core 2 Duo E6300, 1gb ram and a 7600gt graphics card.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:16 25 Jan 07

She has given up the idea of a gaming computer as it seems obvious that £500 isn't going to buy her much. Off to PCW tomorrow for a basic unit for internet and playing music.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5