Help/Info re Handheld GPS

iscanut2 10:56 21 Mar 09

Not really pc related, but am thinking of getting a handheld GPS unit. Can anyone recommend a unit that is reliable, easy to use, can upload OS maps, not just say Garmin ones and is under £200. There seem to be so many around and some that will only allow Garmin maps, which do not get a good review. Thanks.

Demora 20:41 21 Mar 09

I'm thinking of one of these. click here

There a quite a few reviews on there also.

Looks like you can use TomTom Maps with it.

D

iscanut2 21:58 21 Mar 09

Sorry, should have been clearer. Not looking for a car GPS, but one to use when out walking in the hills and mountains etc....

jellyhead 22:13 21 Mar 09

Try here you sould get some good info
click here

PalaeoBill 23:05 21 Mar 09

Have you had a proper look at the Garmin etrex range. There is something for everyone in the range but the Venture is my favorite, it really is a little cracker.

click here

I spend a couple of weeks in Scotland most years, teaching geological mapping to students. They bring GPS's from many different manufacturers. I particularly like the Garmin offerings because they are small, light, robust, waterproof, reliable, accurate and give a reasonable battery life. I have had several different models over the years and haven't come across anything to make be change manufacturer yet.

iscanut2 09:33 22 Mar 09

Thanks for all the info...I had read somewhere that the Garmin devices maps are not as good as the OS ones. Is that the case and can I upload OS maps to them. Sorry to be so ignorant, but I know nothing about these devices yet.

PalaeoBill 11:46 22 Mar 09

Your best bet is to go to a decent outdoor equipment store and get them to demonstrate some GPS receivers that are base map capable. Don't set your expectation too high.

Garmin device maps are no where near as good as a paper OS map. They are mostly sourced from OS maps, but there any direct comparison ends. In order to get them into the limited memory of a GPS device, the base maps are reduced to a vector based image to make them scalable and they tend to show only as much information as in necessary. Garmin use MapSource software to generate base maps that can be downloaded to your GPS. You can use the OS based ones from Garmin that you buy on CD-ROM or you can create your own from sources like Google Maps.

I use the GPS in combination with paper OS maps rather than instead of one. Happy hunting, I hope you find what you want.

iscanut2 12:48 22 Mar 09

Thanks..I have no intention of giving up on paper maps, but just want to try a new toy !!!

wjrt 17:40 22 Mar 09

do not use latitude/longitude but garmin and other gps makes have the facility to use different chart datum/map systems so if you want to use gps in conjunction with os maps consult the manual and set the chart datum to OSGB36

iscanut2 15:43 23 Mar 09

Thanks all...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…