help with what laptop to get

tidyrob69 20:16 16 Oct 08

Hi. I'm looking to buy a new lap top but as I don't know much about them i get lost with what all the different specifications are.

I would like one with about a 18" screen and i want to run autocad and a simulator on it, the requirements for these are..

sim- dualcore 2.4GHZ cpu, 2GB ram, 3D accelerated video with 512mb dedicated memory(pixel shader 3.0 support)

CAD- 3GB ram, pemtium 4- 3GHZ, 1280 x 1024 display.

I hope that makes more sense to other people than it does to me and if anyone could recomend any good value laptops with the above features i would more than grateful.

cheers, Rob

GaT7 22:42 16 Oct 08

The only 18" (18.4" to be precise) laptops I've come across recently that more or less meet your required specs & often surpass them are the:

- Acer's 8920G range click here

- Sony's AW11 range click here

- HP's new HDX range click here (due out in a week or so).

Have a look on each manufacturers' website for more details, & possibly more models as well. Shop around as the above links may not be the cheapest. G

tidyrob69 18:58 17 Oct 08

Thanks G, They are quite nice but i think thats more than i want to spend. the specs i gave were optimum requirements. the basic requirements were...
pentium 1.0 ghz, 512 mb ram, 3d accelerated video with 32mb dedicated memory. pixel shader 1.4 support.

as for the cad, i could get a more basic version rather than the 3d modelling one i originally wanted.

With that in mind could i get a decent laptop that is somewhere in the mddle of the two specs for £500 or am i dreaming again? rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos