Help with new Gaming PC

ajspurs 15:47 03 Nov 08

Hi there, I'm currently looking to buy a new computer, one with pretty good gaming capabilities. I've never had a computer so good that it runs all the latest games pretty smoothly,but that's what I want now. Before doing so I just wanted to be sure on a few things.

Cougar extreme systems seems to be the best site I have found so far, my budget is probably about £700, definitely not over that. This is what I've built from that site as of now:

Gamers AMD Athlon phenom 3870 Crosifre (AMD PHENOM 9750 QUAD CORE 2.4GHZ 4MB CACHE

4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 800 2 x 2gb single modules

250Gb SATA Hard Drive

Coolermaster Nvidia Case

ATI 4870 512MB PCI Express DDR DVI

AM2 - MSI K9N-Neo-V3 1000FSB - DDR2 800x4-nForce 560 Motherboard

DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe

Wireless Optical Deskset DS-3400D

Integrated Sound Card

Trust 2.1 SP-3200 Speaker Set

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (OEM)

What are your thoughts on that, I've read nothing but good things on the Radeon 4870, a good choice?

I know the Intel processors are meant to be a bit better than the AMD ones, but they are quite pricey, is that processor ok?

And lastly, the motherboard, I have no idea what motherboard I need, should I change the one I have chosen?

Thanks a lot for any help.

ajspurs 15:50 03 Nov 08

Oh sorry, and also, the cases. I wanted to go for this one:

click here
But apparently the newer, bigger graphics cards won't fit in there, can anyone confirm this?

So this is the one I have chosen if that is true:

click here

Is that an alright case to choose?

citadel 19:50 03 Nov 08

there is nearly eleven inches to the hard drive cage, just measured as I have this gigabyte case ready for when I upgrade.

GaT7 20:02 05 Nov 08

Budget-permitting, get an Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad CPU.

Make sure to get a good quality brand PSU - the wattage doesn't matter, though something in the region of 600-800W would be suitable, especially if going Crossfire in the future. Avoid anything with the names: Standard, Colors, Atrix, Xclio, etc. That's even if they are 1000W & much cheaper than a 600W good brand PSU, like: Corsair, Tagan, BFG, Antec, etc. Model numbers are important too - this helps one to check finer specs online.

Btw, wireless mice are not really suited to gaming. C-E have exellent Logitech G15 gaming keyboards as upgrade options but strangely no 'gamimg' mice. For gaming, get a Logitech MX518 for ~£20-25 from elsewhere instead (e.g. click here / Review click here). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced