Help needed with upgrade

JonboyL 11:21 28 May 06

Hi all

Been out of the loop since I bought my computer 4 years ago. I want to upgrade my graphics card, but I don't know if I have to upgrade the motherboard / fans / etc at the same time.

My current configuration is:
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (1.73Ghz)
Twin 80Gb IDE HDD
512Mb DDR (PC2700)
nVidia GeForce 4 TI4600 128Mb (DVI/TV Out)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy with Firewire (oem)

I was looking to upgrade my graphics card to something more modern, e.g.
ATI Radeon X1900XTX
Radeon X800GTO
NVidia GeForce 6800 series

I have to admit, although I use my computer for work & various media projects, it's gaming that leads my choice of components.

I can't really afford a completely new system, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Totally-braindead 14:04 28 May 06

New graphics cards are PCI Express, you might get an AGP one of some cards but not all. Your processor is borderline for some of the very latest games and you don't really have enough memory.
Depending on what motherboard you have you could buy a new processor for it, but it would probably have to be either a Sempron or a second hand Athlon XP, you would need more memory perhaps faster memory and if it had to be faster memory it would mean getting rid of the 512 you already have.

I think the most reasonable option would be buy a motherboard bundle if your power supply is up to it click here or perhaps a barebones bundle click here theres no way to advise further as you haven't mention what you are willing to spend.

Mr Mistoffelees 14:05 28 May 06

What is your budget? And does your motherboard have an AGP or PCI-Express graphics slot?

JonboyL 14:27 28 May 06

The motherboard is a KT3 Ultra-ARU ATX Mainboard.

The graphics card is currently located in a AGP port, but there are a couple of 32-bit PCI bus slots (supporting 3.3V/5v PCI bus interface). Don't know if this means PCI-Express.

If you hadn't guessed already, you guys are going to have to treat me like a computer-idiot. Used to just about know what I was doing, but now have no idea!

My budget is ideally £500ish, but can go to £1,000 or so. Much higher than that, and I guess it would make sense to look at a new system.

As before, any help appreciated. Let me know if you need any other info.

Crash 14:32 28 May 06

You have pci slots on the motherboard, pci-express is different. If you could stretch to £1000 you would be safer goin for a new pc like these ones click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…