Help me choose an external hard drive for laptop?

Beba 15:21 09 Jun 05

Hi, I want to buy an external hard drive to back up my laptop computer (Dell Inspiron 510m, 1.7Centrino 60GB, 512MB, Windows XP Professional, USB2). I'm looking at Maxtor One Touch 2 (£122 (eek!)for 200GB at Amazon.co.uk). Does anyone have one of these and are they any good? Or does anyone have any other recommendations that won't break my budget (I'm skint).

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:55 09 Jun 05

Do you need 200Gb? I use 2 Maxtors and they are great. I believe that Staples are floggoing an 80Gb ext.HD for £50. This should be more thn you need.

G

fitcher 18:25 09 Jun 05

why not buy an icy box for a laptop drive (ie 2.5 )then buy a laptop hard drive and fit it .xp recognises it .and if your laptop drive ever goes you have one ready to fit..the one I bought is a faster drive than my original dell one ..

Joe R 18:39 09 Jun 05

Beba,

If the Maxtor is the one you want, you will find it a bit cheaper here.
click here

mole44 21:57 09 Jun 05

dependant on how much space you need how about a 1/2 gig pen drive or saving to cd`s/dvd`s.i have a maxtor external drive 160gig capacity for my backups,its ok although i`ve yet to figure out the onetouch backup button.i use ghost 9.3 instead,and its great.

Gazzerr 05:43 10 Jun 05

Fitcher,

How do the icy boxes work? e.g. Is it a USB connection and does it apepar as another mobile hard disk on your system. What's the difference between that and the branded external hard drives that you can buy?

accord 06:55 10 Jun 05

you quote "What's the difference between that and the branded external hard drives that you can buy? absolutely nothing apart from the price if you DIY.

accord 06:55 10 Jun 05

you quote "What's the difference between that and the branded external hard drives that you can buy? absolutely nothing apart from the price if you DIY.

fitcher 16:05 10 Jun 05

yes icy boxes come ready to fit a hard drive, you choose what hard drive you want to use, a 3.5 or a 2.5 (notbook hard drive)..there is a lead to the usb2 port,, and a second usb lead with voltage supply ,,just in case your usb is not sending enough duce .. . a usb disk for windows 98 , xp finds your hard drive and shows as extra volume on your pc ..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…