Help! I really need some spec advice...

athertpa 17:53 22 Mar 09

Hi,

I have got £500 to spend on building a custom PC, I am a complete NOOB but really want to build my own.

Can someone give me some advice on what components I would be best to purchase.

I have definitely decided to go with INTEL and this is as far as iv'e got (unless someone steers me otherwise):

Case:Raidmax Smilodon Extreme
Processor: Intel Q6600
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q

Can someone please help me by recommending some other parts and giving feedback on my current choices...

Also things seem a lot cheaper in America, is there any problems with me ordering processor etc from newegg.com (i.e will they work)???

Thanks for your help
Paul

2bathred 20:19 22 Mar 09

Sorry to say I am 99% certain Newegg don't deliver outside the states.
£500 is a good price to pay for the bits but don't forget the OS cost.
Western Digital do excellant HDs and Sony good DVD/CD RWs. Crucial are great for memory (life time Garn'te)Make sure you get a top quality PSU (not cheap)it is the life blood of the system.
Have a look at overclockers.co.uk

Joe R 20:52 22 Mar 09

athertpa,

is the £500 for a base unit, or a complete system?

athertpa 21:12 22 Mar 09

I have got £500 to spend currently, I have already got a 19inch monitor so can hang on a month or so for that (ideally would like to upgrade to 22inch widescreen.

Also I already have a decent logitech keyboard and mouse. Basically I just want to upgrade from my single core AMD 3400+ with rubbish graphics card and sound.

In a nutshell I need something that will run empire total war!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…