Help, I need a new PC ,£1 - 1200 to spend

snapperz 14:17 19 Nov 05

Hi
I'm looking to replace my 5 year old Evesham workhorse with something faster. I'm a photographer so I need plenty of storage space, 250GB I guess and a fast processor with lots of RAM.
I use Phtotoshop, Quark, Word, and various other photo packages.
I don't play games at all or listen to much music on the computer.
I've got £1000 to £1200 to spend if necessary. The Mesh systems seem good value but get poor consumer write ups.
Any ideas gladly accepted, thanks

stylehurst 14:25 19 Nov 05

Have a look at Novatech.
Good service & reliable

sharkfin 14:44 19 Nov 05

Evesham: click here Should be plenty powerful for your needs and also furture proof. 1024 MB of RAm, perfect for picture/video editing, Dual processor, 200GB HD and PCi-e graphics card.

Cybermaxx 14:46 19 Nov 05

The (already emntioned in another topic) base unit that ALDI are selling next week could fit the bill.

click here

snapperz 14:46 19 Nov 05

Thanks, Stylehurst.
What I really would like to know, as I don't intend playing games, do I need a fast graphics card, are these used with still images, I need a decent large 19"ish monitor, waht other spec should look for. I hear PC next day are decent, any views on them or personal favourites welcome. thanks
Snapperz

pj123 15:28 19 Nov 05

Try this one as well.

click here

Can't order online unfortunately, but give them a ring.

stylehurst 13:41 20 Nov 05

Hi snapperz
In answer to your questions; I do a lot of mucking around with old photos and use Photoshop.
I find that my main requirements are a decent amount of RAM (not less than 1Gb) A reasonable Video card (not the most recent) but with at least 256Mb of onboard RAM, and a decent monitor CRT or TFT.
I used to use a 19" Mitsubishi, but have recently changed to a 19" Sony TFT.
I usually have a 2nd HDD for photo storage.
Hope this info helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…