Help a digital camera novice please!

L plate marky 16:05 07 Aug 04

I am looking for a cheap(ish) digital camera to take family photos etc. (nothing to ambitious).

I have looked through a number of websites and the array of cameras and specification is simply staggering.

I have found a small basic camera - 2.1 megapixels - a Premier DC2070 for £50 - which seems to be a good price.

Can anyone tell me if this is worth taking or do I need something with a little more power?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Stuartli 16:24 07 Aug 04

For around £100 or a little more you can do so much better, including 3MP cameras, some with 3x optical zooms.

Checking out websites such as click here click here click here and click here (especially its TodayOnly page, will give you an idea.

The vast jump in specifications for perhaps doubling the outlay will repay itself with a camera that will last far longer and produce superior pictures.

Stuartli 16:25 07 Aug 04

For around £100 or a little more you can do so much better, including 3MP cameras, some with 3x optical zooms.

Checking out websites such as click here click here click here click here and click here (especially its TodayOnly page, will give you an idea.

The vast jump in specifications for perhaps doubling the outlay will repay itself with a camera that will last far longer and produce superior pictures.

Stuartli 16:25 07 Aug 04

Checking out websites such as click here click here click here click here and click here (especially its TodayOnly page if any are on special offer), will give you an idea.

Totally-braindead 16:36 07 Aug 04

To try to help I'd suggest this as I don't know anything about the specification of the camera you've looked at. Buy a brand name ie Kodak Pentax Olympus Nikon Fuji. Buy at least a 3 megapixel and make sure it has optical zoom, digital zoom is a total waste of time you can do the same thing on your computer if you so wish, buy a good set of rechargable batteries (best to get 2 sets if you can) and remember to budget for extra memory. As a suggestion look at Amazon.co.uk they are selling the Pentax Optio 33LF which I have and am happy with and for the same price I believe they are now selling a new Kodak one with a metal case, can't remember the number but if you have a look I'm sure you'll find it. Both are £99.99 both are 3 megapixel and have 3x optical zoom.

L plate marky 16:59 07 Aug 04

Thanks for the advice folks.

Stuartli 17:02 07 Aug 04

Don't forget that a digital zoom can be linked to the optical zoom and increase the range - you may be able to do the same during photo editing, but original is always better than reproduction and you won't necessarily need to do it on your system afterwards.

But, for obvious reasons, optical zoom images are superior than digital zoom, which is a convenience rather than a must have.

Stuartli 17:22 07 Aug 04

This info has just arrived:

click here

I know two people with the A70 - cracking camera.

Falkyrn 18:37 07 Aug 04

For family photos etc you may want to look a little up the scale ... a lot depends on the etc bit.

A 2 meg pixel camera with a good printer can provide excellent 7 x 5 prints and sometimes A4 size with a little degradation

3 and 4 Mega pixel cameras will easily stretch to A4 prints possibly even A3 with the 4mp.

5mp and above would be in my opinion overkill although again a lot depends on that original etc bit.

As said above an optical zoom is far preferable to a digital zoom a camera that combines both is good

My own preference is also for a camera with a viewfinder rather than simply the lcd panel on the back ..... great indoors but terrible in sunlight trying to see the screen.

Much also depends on how you feel with the camera .... try one in your hand and see what it feels like

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:46 07 Aug 04

Number of pixels can be irrelevant with inferior lenses. Basically forget the pixels and concentrate on the lens quality. Anything at £50 will have a dire lens. The Canon A75, although more expensive, has a cracking lens. Personally I would not touch anyhting unless it was over £100/£150 and by a well-known manufacturer.

G

961 19:21 07 Aug 04

Buy a Canon with an optical zoom

New models come out every 6 months. Don't be frightened to buy the old model being sold off at much reduced prices

3 megapixel and 3 x optical zoom will do fine for what you want

Don't buy unknown brands. The market leaders are basically little dearer and have the support you need and the quality you want

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…