Help on deciding which pc to buy

BrevilleMonkey 15:10 26 Jul 06

hi everyone. planning on getting a new pc this week but not sure which one to get. i've made a comparison table of 5 in my price range on pc world : (very long link). if anyone who knows what all the stuff inside does could have a look at this and help me out by reccomending one that'd be great thanks in advance.

click here

961 15:24 26 Jul 06

What do you want to use your computer for?

Most of these will work fine unless you want to play "games"

Equally, buying from Dell or similar could produce significantly better performance for similar price

Do you need a monitor?

Dell 5150 without a monitor is a bargain and produces good performance. Delivery within a week

BrevilleMonkey 15:45 26 Jul 06

Mostly internet, storing my music cd's, some minor gaming but not a lot, word proccessing.
a one which multi-tasks well would be great. need a new moniter, i'm looking at a 17" flatscreen.
so whats the best out of my 5 choices? i've had a look on dell but couldn't find much.

lovingit 15:51 26 Jul 06

Great spec and is on sale. Looks better than the ones you suggested?

click here

961 15:58 26 Jul 06

If you are into PCWorld I'd buy Packard Bell with larger hard disk and consider changing monitor to 19". They will let you pick and mix between system box and monitor

The monitor will last you for yonks so buy the best you can afford. Get a big hard disk

I've just bought a Dell for under £300 without monitor which has better spec for performance (5150 set.)wait for Sunday offers in press and haggle for free deivery/hard drive upgrade etc

Jimmy14 15:59 26 Jul 06

Price- 1st one
Processor- 2nd and 5th computer
Graphics Memory- 1st one

Overall the 1st computer in the Pc World comparison chart is the best out of the 5 because of the price, 256mb Graphics compared to the others at 128mb. The only bad point is the processor compared to the others, I would rather have the Athlon 64 3400+ in the 2nd and 5th computer but the good points of the 1st computer outnumber the others. It will be perfect for internet browsing, storing music,minor gaming. It should be fine with using alot of programs at once but if you really want it for multi-tasking, the 4th computer has a dual core 2.66Ghz processor.

BrevilleMonkey 16:04 26 Jul 06

thanks loads for the help 961, loving it and jimmy. the mesh one looks pretty good so its between mesh, pcw no's 1, 2 & 5.
i wish life's choices were easy...

961 16:09 26 Jul 06

Yep

Remember PCWorld, you go, you buy, you take home, it don't work, you take it back, they change it. Pronto

Mesh?

Dell. It will work outa da box

You gotta PCWorld local?

Think about it

961 16:16 26 Jul 06

5, with a 19" monitor

Ivor_Monkey 17:11 27 Jul 06

Buy a dell.

Here for £718 you get a very reliable reasonably high spec (machine that is almost totally silent) with a free printer (whoops I didn't include the cable), 19 inch ultra shapr monitor and perhaps most importantly 2 years on site after sales- just in case.

click here
e=CFG&s=dhs&l=en&cs=ukdhs1&c=uk&&details=false

Ivor_Monkey 17:13 27 Jul 06

click here

does this work. If not, it is a (D07515) Dimension 5150 Intel® Pentium® D 930 Dual Core Processor (3.00GHz, 800MHz, 2x2MB cache), Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2 (incl Symantec PC Restore Recovery)
blah

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…