Help with choosing new PC

scott26985 14:37 29 Jan 07

Hay all,

I’m looking into upgrading my laptop. It’s becoming too slow and the memory is now too small for its use. I’m thinking of going for a desktop as I basically use my laptop as the desktop pc anyway (I’ve got a separate keyboard, monitor as I hate laptop monitors, mouse etc..)

I’ve never brought a pc myself (first one was a gift and second I got free from uni). I’m just basically looking for some advice and a good place to buy from. I will spend up to £500 I think.

Here is what I will be using it for:

First off I want the most up to date Operating System as I can’t stand upgrading the software. I want it to last for at lest 2-3 years or so. I’ve heard of something called Vista but I’ve no idea if it’s the new XP or what.

I will be doing all the basics (word processing including dictation, Internet, spreadsheets etc..)

I download a lot of music and movies and play games so I think I’ll need a big memory. My current one is 60GB and it’s really no use anymore. Some of the average files I download now are 1GB or so.

I also want to play DVDs on it but more importantly I want to be able to burn CDs and DVDs. I also want to edit video and create them into DVDs not just files. My current pc seems to only be able to burn VCDs and CD-RWs. I’ve no idea why.

I also will do a lot of photo editing etc.. so a I’m guessing some kind of multi-media package would be a good idea.

My old Pc is part of a wireless network and has an inbuilt wireless card. I’m guessing I’ll need the same again.

Thanks for your help.

scott26985 16:43 29 Jan 07

I've moved this over to the help section

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…