Help buying a home computor

old fogey 20:51 02 Oct 03

I am new to this forum so I don't know if anyone can help but in case anyone can here's the problem!
I want to buy a new computor but I don't want to use the big chains as friends of mine hsve had bad experiences particularly with after sales service and full copies of xp.

I want to use a local computor shop and ask them to build me one. I have about £1000 to spend and I have been reading PC Avisor reviews and have identified most of the spec but as I am fairly ignorant as to the tech side I have found that the spec I wanted is more than £1000.

Can anyone help with cheaper but good alternitives and anything else I will have to specify when ordering to those I have listed below;

AMD Athlon XP3200+ 2.2GHz
1 GB DDR 333 RAM
HDD 120 or 160 GB
Motherboard MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
Monitor 19in Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB
Graphics Card ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB
Sound Creative Audigy 2ZS
DVD Sony DRU-510A multi drive

The computor will be used by all the family for
work, internet (I am on ntl broadband) and games

Bill M

clayton 22:05 02 Oct 03

why not get the new Athlon 64 processor ??

smegs 00:17 03 Oct 03

Where do U live?? Go & get Urself the local paper & look for Pc shops. We did that the other year and we save about £300 on the same Pc. We told the shop the spec we had seen, they gave us a price. Much cheaper.

weaselwell 00:24 03 Oct 03

keep trying small independant computer shops
in your area

Forum Editor 00:24 03 Oct 03

if it's in Consumerwatch, so I'll move it now.

Djohn 00:34 03 Oct 03

click here You could have a look at this site from one of the forum members. He only delivers in the north west at the moment, but even if you live outside his area, he will be more than willing to help and offer advice on the system you require. j.

Rayuk 18:29 03 Oct 03

The XP3200+ is a 200[400]cpu so you would have to get PC3200 memory for it to run at its utmost.So going for an XP3000 166[333] would save you about £140 straight away.
The Radeon 9800Pro 256mb.
By all accounts the 128 is just as good the 256Mb memory is over the top and doesnt give extra performance to warrant cost.[so another say £100]

Going to a local dealer you may get the service and support[or you may not]you require,but I dont think you will get it at a lower price than the big boys can offer.

old fogey 19:55 03 Oct 03

Thanks folks for your suggestions, this is the first time Ive used a forum glad to see it works.

Rayuk think I'll take your advice about the XP3200+ and the Radeon 128mb rather than 256mb.

Djohn thanks for the link will get some quotes after I finish this.

Smegs I live in the North West fairly small town.

Weaselwell I'm lucky in my local area theres about 5 or 6 computor shops so I will try all of them.

Clayton I am not very techie but from what I understand the Athlon 64 is more for the future than know as it will only run at 32 with existing hardware !! (I think but there again I did say I'm not very techie)

Sorry it took some time to get back but I have to book time on MY computor as someone in the family always seems to be on it.

Giantsquid 23:17 03 Oct 03

I'm in the above area if you need help email me.

johnnyrocker 09:52 04 Oct 03

if you are not already committed you might like to have a look click here

cheers..
johnny

old fogey 21:38 06 Oct 03

Giantsquid
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you had a medical problem with one of the brats!
Thanks for your offer apparently my better half has printed off my wish list and taken it to my favourite computor shop (little bit pricy but great after service) and asked them to build me a computor as near as they can to my wish list within the price constraints I have.

johnnyrocker
looked at your link big red computors but see above!

Tanks to all who have offered suggestions I have been visiting this forum for some time and the depth of knowledge of the individuals who use this forum amazes me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…