Help buying a computer

garcooper 14:28 20 Aug 06

Hi everyone

I'm looking at buying a new PC to play high performance games I have found one computer but I need to know what you think the specification is as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Processor

250GB Western Digital Caviar SE 3.5" SATA300 Hard Drive with 8MB Cache

1GB DDR2 667 DIMM PC5300 Memory

256MB PCI-Express nVidia Inno3D GeForce 7600GS Graphics Card

ECS P965T-A Core 2 Duo Motherboard

10 USB 2.0 Ports

7.1 Surround Sound

Gigabit Ethernet LAN

16x DVDRW Dual Format Double Layer Drive

52 in 1 Flash Card Drive

56K modem

Black & Silver ATX Mid Tower case with 300W PSU

17" AOC LM-728 LCD Monitor

Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard

Zoostorm S2176 2.1 Speaker System

Microsoft Windows XP Home

Your help would be much appreciated.

GARETH

silverous 19:49 20 Aug 06

You don't say how much that is or what your budget is. Looks like a fairly decent PC though... not sure about AOC monitors...they any good?

GaT7 20:15 20 Aug 06

Depends on what your expectations are. I'd be very happy to own such a system, but I'm only an occasional gamer.

A few things that you may want to consider.....

1. The monitor:

From the AOC site click here: "RECOMMENDED FOR:
Architecture, Design, Corporate Environments" - so not really recommended for gaming(?)

"PC Nextday has decided to pair the Zoostorm with an AOC LM728 17" monitor. It is sharp but produces a disappointingly bluish white. It performed acceptably in our greyscale transition test, but some banding was visible." from click here

2. The graphics card:

Couldn't find much info about the 7600GS card's performance, but I'm basing my judgement on the lowish price click here. If it's anything like the 7600GT it may well be very acceptable click here.

3. The speakers:

2.1 will be OK if you listen to music occasionally. The PC has 7.1 capability, so I'm not sure why they're providing a measely 2.1 set - to lower overall costs I guess.

All in all a good system, perhaps let down by a few components. G

Totally-braindead 20:20 20 Aug 06

I can help with the graphics card, its a bit faster than the 6600GT so its reasonable and able to play any game. Though perhaps not at the highest settings (its what I have just now).

There is one exception to that play any game thing, its a game I believe called Oblivion I think and its requirements are ridiculous.

I play FEAR, the new Tomb Raider and a few other new games at 1024 x 768 with all graphics options on.

garcooper 22:06 20 Aug 06

Thanks everyone for your help and advice especially Crossbow7 that is very useful links you have attached. As for Silverous my budget is £700. This computer I'm looking at is £599.

Its so hard to choose the right computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…