Help! Advice on buying a desktop

badger555 17:57 29 Nov 09

I am currently looking to replace my old desktop of 5 years which is rapidly grinding to a halt. I have looked on various websites and read lots of reviews but am just more confused about how much I need to spend and what I require as I don't want to have to upgrade in another 12 months.
My basic needs for a computer is internet, office word etc, music/film download, basic digital photo editing and basic video editing,I do not need it for games.
I was quoted the following by Dell at a cost of £639

Processor:
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
Microsoft Operating System:
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Monitor:
Dell ST2210 21.5" Full HD Widescreen Monitor - UK/Irish
Memory:
4096MB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz [4x1024]
Hard Drive:
640GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
Video Card:
512MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4350 graphics card
Optical Devices:
DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)
Sound Cards:
Integrated Channel High Definition Audio
Floppy Drive:
19-in-1 Media Card reader
Wireless Networking:
Dell 1505 Wireless-N Network PCIe Card
Dell System Media Kit:
Inspiron Desktop 545 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)

Is this too high or to too low a spec??
Is Dell a good choice to go for?

Forum Editor 18:53 29 Nov 09

and this one is very good. You've said that you don't want to be upgrading in 12 months time, and that you want to edit images and video. This computer will be ideal for that, and at the price quoted I think you have a pretty good deal.

You could probably shave a few pounds off the price by tweaking the specification, or by shopping around, but that's a matter for you to decide. In my opinion the computer would do the job, and the price is a fair one.

GaT7 16:31 30 Nov 09

I would go for this Dell click here for £449 - which is the same spec as your one - & add the same monitor click here separately for £127. Grand total = £576 - screenshot showing all the discounts click here.

As you can see, they are charging too much for the monitor upgrade (+£180) in your spec, & I feel £30 for a wireless card is way too much as well. You can get a plug-in USB one for under £10 from eBuyer click here (using the Super Saver delivery option).

Yet another option is to get the Dell PC as above, but a 24" monitor (2" larger than Dell's) for £130 from elsewhere - e.g. this BenQ G2410HD click here (del is free for orders £100 & above). G

961 16:39 30 Nov 09

I don't think you need to spend anything like £639 and Crossbow 7 is right in saying you are better buying a BenQ monitor separately

I've got a Benq 24" hd monitor whic cost £145 from Dabs. It's great

I also feel my 32 bit Dell Vostro business computer is worth considering

Basic Dell computers are great. The add ons are expensive

GaT7 17:04 30 Nov 09

961, yes I did think about the Vostro series as well.

The only one I could find at a fair price that came with a dedicated graphics card (instead of an expensive upgrade) was this slim-type, dual-core one click here, for just over £480 delivered. It has a dual-core CPU, 3Gb RAM, 500Gb hard drive (& 32-bit OS) - which are all lower in spec than the other PC, but still more than sufficient for all the activities it's going to be used for. Another good thing, is that it includes a 21.5" monitor for the price. The downside is that it cannot be purchased without a monitor so one could get the 24" screen from elsewhere. G

badger555 00:31 01 Dec 09

Thanks for the advice everybody, I've gone for the Dell and the BenQ screen and going to get a cheaper wireless card.
You've all been a great help and saved me money ....Thanks again :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…