Heads up on buying comps sans monitors

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:43 23 Jun 06

just a quick heads up that if anyone wants a computer base without the monitor PCWorld will sell computers without monitors but you have to ask. I've just bought a PB Imedia (1Gb RAM, DVD writer etc.) for £350 instead of the advertised £529 becuase we did not need a monitor.

spuds 20:51 23 Jun 06

I don't know if it still applies, but PCWorld use to supply their monitors with a one year warranty, further years were by an extended warranty purchase.The same product could normally be obtained from most other retailers with a three manufacturers warranty,usually by a swap-out arrangement.

wolfie3000 21:12 23 Jun 06

G you got a link or the specs of said pc,s?

rdave13 21:44 23 Jun 06

Thanks GANDALF <|:-)> , that's noted. Been put off buying there because of having to buy the whole system.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:23 24 Jun 06

It would appear to be the majority of their PCs that can be purchased without the monitors but they do not make it obvious (they are there to sell as much as possible). Not having the monitor can knock £160-£220 off the price. You could probably get a slightly better deal from Novatech but then there is postage and the PCW ons have a full XP operating system. The computer that we bought is a Packard Bell 1429 and the specs are......AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor.

2.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, 0.5MB Cache

160GB Hard Disk Drive

Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD RW Drive

128 MB ATI Express X200 Graphics

6 USB Connections

4 PCI Slots

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

It won't be beating allcomers at half-life but not too bad for the price. It is worth asking how much the base units are without the monitor.

rdave13 18:57 24 Jun 06

Hmm. As a "retired" power worker I could have had an extra £43.75 (12.5%) off,if my sums are correct. Next purchase , will give serious thought to PC World.

wint 09:02 25 Jun 06

It's not just PC World.

I bought my Evesham Axis without monitor.

961 09:16 26 Jun 06

Probably a bit early to ask, but how are you finding the quality/setup of your new 1429?

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:32 26 Jun 06

It was for a friend but I set it up for him. I am quite impressed by the build and the general quality although HP have always been good as are Emachines and Compaq. I have set up many of these 3 makes and none have been a problem and all work fine just don't expect to paly far cry at full speed. For basic computers that will do more than most people ever need, they are great.

SG Atlantis® 17:04 29 Jun 06

worth a bump.

Was in PCW today and got quotes on just the base units. Big savings to be made if you don't take the monitor.

A £450 Compaq with 15inch tft came down to £289 without the monitor!

Thanks Gandalf. I wouldn't have bothered to ask this Q before.

SG Atlantis® 17:05 29 Jun 06

I wouldn't have bothered thinking to ask this Q before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…