Have you bulit your own PC?

Forum Editor 20:53 17 Oct 04

If you have - how did it go?

1. Like clockwork

2. Complete failure.

3. A little shaky to start with, but running fine now.

In other words, was it as easy as you thought, or a not-to-be-repeated experience, or something in between?

A brief response would be appreciated, I'm not after a blow by blow account, and as always please let me know if you DON'T wish your name to be quoted in a forthcoming article in the magazine.

t.long 21:15 17 Oct 04

I have built several PCs now. They have all gone well. Though I must admit I have always brought more parts a few weeks later. Normaly fans and other accessories rather than core components.

The last PC I built did not go quite according to plan. I built a system around an Intel Prescott CPU. However I forgot to do some research and it did not occur to me that Prescotts run a little hotter than other CPUs. They require a case which can maintain a lower ambient tempreture than normal. However once I swapped the case around for a 'cooler' model - an Aluminium one with more fans - I got the Prescott under control.

So I guess things were a little shakey at first, but once I got some information from Intel about how hot I could let the chip run, and take the right measures things improved. I must also say that Intel were very quick to give a response to my question, which is good because there seems to be a lot of confusion on the net as to how hot a Prescott can, or should run.

I think that had I done more research in the first place as to the components I was using then I would not have run into any trouble. But I guess I have learnt my lesson now, well untill next time.

ayrmail 21:25 17 Oct 04

Easier than I would have thought used a lot of magazine articles and web forums like this for info and advice. It works, (it probably cost as much to build as it would have to have bought It.) although it has a fault at this time generally (me trying some of the tweaks suggested on this forum or links there of) it runs fine and more so under XP. Win98 was probably more interesting from a tweaker’s point of view but also frustrating when you needed to use and it wouldn’t play.
Would do it again and would like to try building the case as well.

fuzzyone 21:35 17 Oct 04

I have built lots of pc's over the years, not all of which have been without their problems.

Most have been faults with purchased hardware, although I have to admit, I had a few home grown errors in my first couple of years.

Now I am confident in build and configuration, but have found recently, as t.long states above, most newer system builds require a better cooling system, with at least one intake fan at the front to cool hard drive(s), and at least one fan, for exhaust at the back. (a top blowhole does a great job for a hot running system).

Self-build is not just about being able to choose each and every piece of hardware, but the satisfaction of turning on, and watching a system running well, gives an unbelievable feeling of pride and satisfaction.

I believe that it is possible to build a system for yourself (or others) for around the same price (or cheaper), than can be bought from a major retailer. You also get to choose the individual components, you feel are right for your needs.

I have not bought a full system for five years now and could not go back to it again.

mark2 21:35 17 Oct 04

I built my 1st system recently (less than a month ago) Asus Mobo and prescott p4, went like clockwork, apart from identifying the correct lead/mobo pins configuration for my front mounted usb ports, a search on the net found the information for me. The front mounted USB ports not essential and the comp was useable without them.

Studied the manual that came with it for a good couple of hours beforehand, and allowed time for it to digest. referred to the manual regularly while building.

Once built, booted up and installed XP & SP2 from a slipstreamed disc.

Simpler and easier than I expected except for having big mitts in relatively small spaces :-)

ton 21:46 17 Oct 04

I built my first one about two years ago.

I was a bit nervous about it, but did a lot of research as to which parts to use etc. and gained a lot of knowhow from the PCA help-room.

It went like clockwork and I've never regretted it.

Since then I have built several more for other people, all with no problems so far.

One i done used a cheap PSU and when you went to install XP it decided it didnt like it and gave me a nice blue screen. But then Putting the FSB from 133 to 100 worked, installed fine, then my friends who this was for brought a decent PSU and all is fine and dandy now...

Mike D 22:21 17 Oct 04

I built my last but one PC - I would have built this one also, but I could not beat the spec for the price at the time.

The build was easier than I feared, so much so that I also ended up helping my neighbour's son (aged 13)to build one.

The sense of ownership and achievement is a reward worth having.

I decided to build the PC I am using now about 2 years ago. At the time, I wasn't exactly sure how it was put together nor did I really need to do it. The only reason I did do it was that I was looking for a challenge so I could improve my PC skills.

Apart from a few minor niggles at the start (and blowing the whole house's electricity supply) I got it up and running and it has worked perfect ever since.

Looking back now, I have no regrets. It was certainly a big milestone for me in the world of computing.

Like my comrade in arms, Pilch, I have built several machines myself. You start off learning how to build your own and end up helping everyone else you know to do theirs. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Having sought the advice from people frequenting this site, it was with some trepedition that I ventured into my first build, several years ago now. It went much smoother than I could have anticipated or even hoped for, being far simpler to assemble than one might imagine (like fixing a lego kit as one person remarked). There were niggles, and it was a simple jumper setting on the hard drive set wrong, something that I was helped with on this site (the thread will be there still back in the archives).

I'm still greatful for the enthusiastic advice given by those who helped me back then and would heartilly recommend others take up the challenge themselves. It's a good way of learning about how computers work and ditching the phobia of 'if I touch it I might break it'. Haven't forgotten the initial fear either - seems strange that just looking at the insides of a PC made me feel so queasy. Still have computer hassles though but at least I know how to deal with them...

sidecar sid 23:17 17 Oct 04

Twelve so far.All booted first time without any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…