Has anyone else experienced this..

NewestRoyWidd1 18:31 18 Jun 08

Just got back from buying a Microsoft 500 wired keyboard from our local Argos.
As I waited in the queue to pay,I was ready for the inevitable"we offer product replacement for £xx",but was taken by surprise when the girl looked closely at her screen and said"oh,it needs batteries".
When I asked why a wired keyboard would need batteries,she quickly lost interest.It made me wonder just how many un-needed batteries they manage to sell that way to people who aren't clued-up.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:33 18 Jun 08

Wired keyboard? What is this ancient, arcane thing of which ye speak of?

G

NewestRoyWidd1 18:53 18 Jun 08

GANDALF <|:-)> My apologies O Mighty One;I chose the said ancient thing for it's price(£9.99).
Also because I(mistakenly it seems?)didn't think I needed a wireless one.
NRW1

jack 19:53 18 Jun 08

Wired is best still talks to computer at critical moments-
Saves scampering around nicking batteries out of clocks and other battery driven sundries bcuase you forgot to get a spare set or have a recharged set to hand.
Some times old is best.

click here

Stuartli 20:13 18 Jun 08

Or you need to get around the screen using only the keyboard......

Clapton is God 21:10 18 Jun 08

I still use a wired keyboard, a wired mouse and a CRT monitor - all of which have given excellent trouble-free service for many years.

Joe R 23:08 18 Jun 08

A wired mouse and keyboard, are essential for most heavy duty gamers.

NewestRoyWidd1 23:41 18 Jun 08

Excellent comments,now I know that getting a wired keyboard was the right option!
But anyone have thoughts about Argos trying to sell batteries with it?

phoenix198 00:42 19 Jun 08

That would be to replace the ones you took out of the clock ...

ronalddonald 07:34 19 Jun 08

Did the girl say what type f batteries ? and does the keyboard really need batteries? Seems very odd very odd indeed. I wonder if they try this thing on foreign students to get them to buy batteries so that they can increase sales of batteries. May be u need the battery's to throw at the keyboard in case it breaksdown

NewestRoyWidd1 16:16 19 Jun 08

ronalddonald;The batteries would have been AA,which I already have plenty of.(rechargeables).Marg7;That explains it then.Yet another reason not to go wireless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant