Has anyone bought an Acer E5 571 NX.ML8K.27

Avodat 20:31 05 Nov 14

I ask because it is sooooooo slow (this is 4th attempt to post on here - all others have timed out!

I have discovered that, in spite of what Acer's web site says, you cannot upgrade the memory or anything else because it is all a sealed unit!!! They have conceded that I could do it (although there is no way to do it), but if I ever did my warranty would be invalid.

Anyone taken this up this issue with them - if so, what was the result? For nearly £340 I thought some of the basics, as advertised by Acer, would be there.

Avodat 20:35 05 Nov 14

Sorry, model reference should have read NX.ML8EK.027

Woolwell 21:43 05 Nov 14

Have you bought it?

Avodat 22:04 05 Nov 14

Yes, I have, but not direct from Acer. The company I bought it from only showed a limited spec so I checked it out with Acer's spec which is where it says a maximum of 16GB. Based on the Acer spec I bought the laptop.

Woolwell 22:28 05 Nov 14

Reviews state that it is only possible to get at components by removing the keyboard. It probably is capable of taking 16Gb but that doesn't mean that it is easy to do. Opening any PC usually invalidates the warranty.

How much RAM do you have. Above 8 should not make much difference on this laptop.

Avodat 22:32 05 Nov 14

It comes with just 4GB, which is really the bare minimum.

The key point is that it is not as advertised on the Acer site, because you cannot upgrade without losing your warranty but that caveat is not there. Had it been I would not have bought it.

Avodat 15:39 06 Nov 14

The business from which I bought it now tells me, in response to my email to them, that it is upgradeable to 16GB but you have to disassemble the key board and the motherboard from the base unit because the memory is 'tucked underneath the motherboard'.

How silly is that! Essentially they are saying that you can upgrade but only after the one year warranty expires and then you would probably need to pay someone to do it! That is NOT made clear in the sales blurb at all.

If I'd known that I definitely would not have bought it. Oh well - Consumer Protection Act will have to sort it out, me thinks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…