has anybody bought a laptop from spain via the net

makie 00:59 07 May 03

I was e mailed by someone in spain who saw my bid on a laptop on e-bay. They offered the following:-
SONY VAIO PCG-GRV680 CDRW/DVD, Screen 16.1"
P4
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Proccesor - 2.6GHz
Memory: 512MB
Hard Drive: 60GB
Modem: Integrated V.90
CD-ROM Drive: 24X max.
DVD-RW Drive: 1xWrite/4xReWrite/8xRead
CD-RW Drive: 16xWrite/10xReWrite/12xRead Display: 16.1" high-resolution SXGA
(1280x1024) Graphics: 4X AGP ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500 Video Memory: 64 MB
Ethernet: 10Base-T/100Base-TX Ethernet Wireless: i.LINK (IEEE 1394) interface USB Ports: 3
Battery Type: Lithium-Ion Battery Life: 1.5-4.5 hours with one battery
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Weight: 8.2 lbs. with one battery Service & Support: 1 year warranty

PRICE 1000 EURO
It seems an offer that is good, I am not bothered about the keyboard being US layout. He has asked to be paid via Western Union who he says hold the money until I send him the transfer number western give my. That I give him after the laptop has been delivered. So it sounds a good way of making sure I get the goods before payment is releast to him, I this to good to be true??

Ellie3009 15:39 07 May 03

Sounds too good to be true to me...
I'd ask western Union about that transfer number stuff before I went ahead with something like this!

rickf 15:55 07 May 03

What about warranty should things go wrong with the machine? Is this a co or an individual selling? Valid questions I think.

chrishillcoat 18:39 07 May 03

Be EXTREMELY cautious about these e-mail deals. A friend of mine was duped into handing over £450 for a non-existant TFT monitor just last month, and now has to get the police involved. Make sure you check out his credentials first.

hoverman 18:57 07 May 03

I wouldn't ever consider taking up such an offer and would report this immediately to eBay Support.

makie 19:38 07 May 03

Ellie: spoke with western union, yes they give a mtcn number but if you have the names and the address of each party it is possible to collect the money on this basis! The thing I am thinking of doing is to alter the address a bit the although it would be me it would not be exact, that way I would know if he tried to get the cash without the mtcn number. He has given me already a UPS tracking number which I have checked and it is on their web site tracking system, I am going to contact them and ask what is the procedure with them. I am doing this at the moment for devilment without parting with any cash! I want to build up a full story by leading him on at the moment before reporting him to anybody. I will not be dupt into it at all. What I am also doing as I have contacts in Madrid is to check him out and let them do the deal ( if we think its ok that is) and collect the laptop from him if I go ahead.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:26 07 May 03

Hmmmm...so he is flogging a $3000 computer for $1000. It is also fully specced (which accounts for the $3000 proice tag) and is apparently less than a year old. These machines are 'must haves' and go as soon as they are advertised in Europe, or here, for much, much more. Why do I sense that something is amiss?

'saw my bid on a laptop on e-bay'...just about clinches it for me...why is he not advertising it. One word to save you any grief...CON.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:28 07 May 03

click here if you are still not convinced. ;-)))))))))))0

G

makie 22:01 07 May 03

I have now spoken to UPS who tell me that they have issued the labels with the tracking number that he has scanned to me but have not as yet collected any goods. They were very helpful in telling me how these “scams” work’s and the link with Western Union.
It all looks very good and secure on the face of it and can see where people are gullible in falling for this type of scam.
One reason for following this up was a similar thing happened to me on the old Yahoo auction site but that time using that same logo and web page design as a genuine Canadian company called “Northern Technology”. They also were working out of Spain and again gave prices that were to good to be true. By the time I started to get the picture they had disappeared from the net.
Cont2

makie 22:02 07 May 03

P2
I would not have bought from him on what info he sent me at first. As the e-mail exchanges got more realistic I felt that for my own piece of mind and to pass on to others I wanted to know more, that’s why I have gone as far as I have to date.
The main reasons that from the start there was an element of suspicion was: - for around £700 he was selling brand new, not used, top spec Sony laptops that even included a dvd writer which when I looked up the typical price on the net was in excess of £2,250. The second and to me stud out as much as anything was his name “Martin Doe” is that not “Joe Bloggs” to us? As I asked further question on other laptops that he had he listed a bog standard NEW TOSHIBA 3505 Portege Tablet Notebook PC at almost £900, no bargain as not even a cdw installed!
Cont3

makie 22:04 07 May 03

P3
Sorry for writing so much but feel that apart from reporting it to e-bay there must be more that can be done about this kind of fraud & seeing that I still have him “warm” with what he thinks is a transaction going ahead. Anybody got any ideas before I just drop it? I would love to have them put down if they are what we think they are. By the way he did give me an address in Madrid, this is an apartment in the City. Do you think that the UK police would take it up with the Spanish police? I feel a bit like a dog with a bone with this!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…