Has Amazon Been Hacked? Suspicious Email.

morddwyd 08:23 21 Jun 16

I have had a ery genuine looking email from Amazon telling me to reset my password.

Is it kosher? I have seen no news reports of Amazon being hacked, which I would have thought would generate some publicity.

alanrwood 09:07 21 Jun 16

If you do change it don't use any links in the email you have received. It is most probably a phishing email.

BRYNIT 13:32 21 Jun 16

Have a read of Identifying spoof emails from the Amazon web page Click here

BRYNIT 13:35 21 Jun 16

Also if it looks suspicious report it to Amazon CLICK HERE

Ex plorer 15:14 21 Jun 16

I agree with alanrwood, if at any time you want to change any details go onto the Amazon site and sign in.

wee eddie 15:35 21 Jun 16

The chances are that it is a, better than usual, phi shingle email. .

As with any such email. Do not use the link provided. Go directly to the website via your own link

morddwyd 18:57 21 Jun 16

Thank you.

I'm aware of phishing and scam risks, of course, and I would not touch this without contacting Amazon directly first(I have a dedicated e-mail address.).

However, experience tells me that the members of this forum are often aware of these things long before official channels!

Further study of the email (I was in a rush to get out this morning) reveals that Amazon have found my email/password on another site (what were they doing there?) and immediately changed the password , and sure enough I cannot log in.

They advise me to go to "Mt Account" on the Amazon website and use the "Lost Password" option. (There are no links anywhere in the email.)

Very suspicious! I shall contact them during business hours tomorrow.

alanrwood 19:06 21 Jun 16

How on earth do Amazon think they have the authority to change your password.

Good luck with contacting them.

Number six 23:07 21 Jun 16

morddwyd:

This happened to me a few months ago. Like you, Amazon had changed my password and I could not log in to my account. Followed their advice and reset to new password, obviously without following any links. Had no trouble since.

It occurred to me that maybe Amazon do this periodically as a matter of course if you have had an account for a long period of time. Either that or they have very strong fraud detection processes on board. In my case possibly they discovered that my email address had been compromised and found its way onto spammers lists.

morddwyd 08:19 22 Jun 16

Thanks. That seems a plausible explanation; I have beeh a customer for around fifteen years.

Amazon think they have the authority to change my password because if somebody uses it fraudulently they carry the loss! Seems ewasonable to me.

alanrwood 08:55 22 Jun 16

Put that way I can see the logic but it would also be good if they told you that had happened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes