The hare and the tortoise

Newuser4608 08:43 26 Apr 05

On Friday 15th April I ordered an Acer PD113 projector from and elected for their finance option. V12 Finance emailed the forms that day and I posted them back on Saturday. Monday morning V12 phoned me to check that it was me and ok'd the transaction. Delivery was £6.00. The projector arrived on Tuesday morning. On Sunday 17th April I ordered an Acer CS-5530 camera from CET UK Ltd. Their acknowledgement said that "a member of the web order team will call you shortly to confirm your order details". As I had no call on Monday I telephoned them on Tuesday. They had not yet got round to my order. I explained that I was going away and would require the camera by Thursday 21st April. Standard delivery was £11.69. It has still not arrived! What experiences have others had?

spuds 10:10 26 Apr 05

Like all on-line and mail order sales, some companies have a rapid response others are not so forthcoming.All companies at times can have staff or stock problems, which can annoy potential customers, but I am afraid that is the way of the world nowadays.Dabs are a large company, and if you check various forums, you will see that they get their fair share of complaints as well as pats on the back.

I generally think, that a company that cannot respond to its customers sets a poor example, and I for one would consider putting my money and time their way.

Stuartli 10:16 26 Apr 05

I'm sure you meant that you wouldn't consider putting your time and money their way...:-)

I've had the very occasional problem with Dabs, just as you do with Scan, E-Buyer etc but there's no doubt that such companies provide a very rapid delivery of orders; the sheer volume of business done every day means that the occasional hiccup will arise.

It's how firms deal with such hiccups that's important...

spuds 10:50 26 Apr 05

My usual slip of the tongue or written word. All these communication microwaves floating around in space. Brain Power reduction ;o)

oresome 19:45 26 Apr 05

I believe it's worth stating on the order that the delivery date is of the essence, if you need the item for a particular occassion.

The supplier can decline the order if they can't meet it and you can cancel if the date isn't met.

Otherwise, the supplier will have weasel words in their T's & C's allowing plenty of scope for delivering late.

Newuser4608 18:57 28 Apr 05

The camera arrived on 27 April - it was the wrong one! After several phone calls and 2 emails I got a reply that there had been a mix-up in numbers in their computer. They would arrange to collect the wrong camera and deliver the right one by overnight delivery. The wrong camera was collected this morning, but still no sign of the right one. Watch this space!

oresome 19:26 28 Apr 05

If only computers were as reliable as people! It's always the computer's fault.

I wonder what excuses were made prior to computers? Perhaps a faulty fountain pen.

961 19:33 28 Apr 05

...fountain pen...

Having started work for a joint stock bank (!) in the 50's with a daily start of mixing powder and water to make the ink for the inkwells on the bank counter and then going on to make sure all the pen nibs were not crossed, perhaps you can define a fountain pen for our younger members

Stuartli 23:57 29 Apr 05

Later design fountain pens used a cartridge - just like an inkjet printer...:-)

Unfortunately, the only colours were black and blue.

Fellsider 15:53 02 May 05

I think that the answer lies in the initial posting - Standard Delivery!

When I ordered an item from a company that regularly gets good reports on here and I had not had problems with before - I noticed that my order was still 'pending' after three days

The response to an e-mail query was that they had a lot 'next day delivery' orders to fulfil!

Suppose they were honest about it!

If you want it quick it costs more

"I wonder what excuses were made prior to computers? Perhaps a faulty fountain pen. "

Staff shortages was the old favourite.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…