hard drives which one?

sunny staines 13:03 31 Mar 07

is there any noticable noise difference & reliabilty between hard drives of different makes looking at maxtor. western digital, seagate, samsung.

i have IDE and SATA ONE sockets on the motherboard at present using IDE.

loc 13:32 31 Mar 07

I use SATA 300 gig ,& 120gig IDE maxtor. Been using 2 or 3 yrs. there is some noise, but for me its bearable. Read very carefully inst's for setting SATA up. Plenty info on maxtor site, or was!

Col

sunny staines 15:29 31 Mar 07

LOC

thanks, thinking about western digital.

spuds 15:41 31 Mar 07

Always used Maxtor and Western Digital, never had any real problems with either make.

Three weeks ago I purchased a Seagate 'silent' hard-drive from Ebuyer. Perfect bit of kit, and as a 5 year warranty. Seagate and Maxtor now from the same stable. Did notice the drive was made in China and not the usual Singapore/Malaya brand.

Totally-braindead 16:17 31 Mar 07

If your computer has SATA then buy a SATA one, one with the bigger cache, no particular make in my opinion I've had the three best known manufacturers and have never had a problem so can't choose between them. Have 2 Seagates in my PC at the moment and my old hard drive a Maxtor was converted to an external drive. Also had Western Digital before and they were fine as well.
Some have had problems but I've perhaps been lucky so I can't pick any particular make.

sunny staines 16:39 31 Mar 07

does cache or seek times make any difference, higher cache seem to have slower seek times.

Stuartli 21:41 31 Mar 07

I've found the Western Digital Caviar SE drives to be superbly reliable (my current 60GB model, an OEM version, is already out of its three year warranty).

sunny staines 14:34 01 Apr 07

Stuartli
thanks seen a seagate barracuda with a 5 year warranty looking my fav option at present.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…