Hard drives to come?

rdave13 22:07 06 Jan 07

Quite a good storage space and also economic? click here#

Where do you stop partitioning? ;)

Mr Mistoffelees 08:49 07 Jan 07

96 to 98 I worked for a laptop servicing firm. In 97 the first 5GB 2.5" drives started to come through. We wondered, then, how anyone would ever need so much storage space!

Diemmess 10:21 07 Jan 07

To re-phrase Parkinson's Law:-
"Data expands so as to fill the space available for it".

As an ordinary home user I would shun such capacity on one HD, with so many eggs in one basket.
If I needed anything like that capacity I would buy a number of external HDs instead and partition none of them.

jack 14:57 07 Jan 07

I echo Diemmess' Eggs and Baskets not for the likes of us
strictly commercial, and then with caution

I have 1O hard drives excluding the system.
2 are in caddies a 200 Gb and a 10Gb back- up and
7 in the rack[ all salvaged small drives but OK for putting in a caddy to back stuff up on- in addition to burning to CD/DVD - In this lark you cannot have to many belts with your braces

bit of a beginner here, i assumed as long as your back up drive is as big as your main drive, you should never need more than 2, (acronis/ norton ghost etc)
is that incorrect?

lisa02 19:43 07 Jan 07

"As an ordinary home user I would shun such capacity on one HD, with so many eggs in one basket."

But with all things bigger will be introduced and prices will fall making 1TB and more the defacto in your computer.

jack... strictly commercial? I don't think so.

wee eddie 19:54 07 Jan 07

will fill half of it

if you said you would be able to get 500 gb drives 6 years ago that wpuld have possibly been 'shunned' too

Diemmess 09:24 08 Jan 07

Granted that commercial and business use will welcome ever larger capacity for storing data

BUT

To the ordinary home user a primary hard disk which is carrying everything, IMO needs to be managed from the beginning so ....

1) The OS has room to work.
2) The major applications can integrate.
3) Room for transient uses.
4) Almost no space after providing for 1-3

Inexperienced users will soon make a dogs-dinner of a big disk with a mass of odd files and great difficulty in finding what they want. Mixing this with the primary drive is a recipe for despair.

Data, also system and other backups have no place on the primary drive and for many reasons should be on another HD.

lisa02 09:47 08 Jan 07

TB hard disks will become the norm and to say they should be shunned because home users won't know what to do with it is, well, funny!

I can't wait to get my hands on TB disks to fill up with all the video, music and photos I have busting out of my measely 2 x 160gb disks.

As for management well most folk will buy a new PC with Vista on it and high end machines will contain TB disks... Vista file management and search facilities are meant to be the best. So I don't think users will get lost in between platters.

Diemmess 10:40 08 Jan 07

I'm not a Luddite, but I am talking of now.
I agree that your second HD may be too small for your needs.

I just think it is premature to consider having a primary HD with a capacity far greater than needed (for reasons 1-3 in my last post), because of the time and difficulty in backing up its contents against the day Drive C: fails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009