//some 3rd party need geo

Hard drive problems again

ricvic 09:13 03 Feb 03

Following what seemed to be catastophic hard drive failure click here (thank you to everyone who advised me) the HD seems to be Ok except that it makes a noise getting going. Once up to speed it runs ok. Scandisk reports no errors, Norton AV replaced a possible MBR problem and then reported no errors.

Despite Scandisk I'm taking a warning that the HD is on the way out and have backed up all my stuff. I'm off to Novatech later today for a new barebones system and HD.

If the disk is faulty I'll claim on the warranty (I bought it in Sept 01) Before I get the CC out is there anything else I should try?

thanks, as always, in advance

R

ricvic 09:14 03 Feb 03

Sorry, this should be in the helproom. I'll repost over there.

ams4127 18:46 03 Feb 03

I've just seen your post.

I have just recovered from exactly the same problem. HDD thrashing away, no boot, can't boot from CD, can't access other drives etc. CHKDSK (in XP) reports clean disk.

I reinstalled everything before I found the trouble.

Defragment the drive before you try anything else and I think it will cure your problem.

ricvic 19:20 03 Feb 03

Thanks ams4127,

My keen eared daughter (8 years old) spotted that the noise comes from the PSU, not the HD. So transfixed was I by the HD symptoms that I did not think of sticking my ear close to the box until this evening.

On looking further I see that a 230w PSU is running a motherboard, Celeron, graphics and sound card, HD, CD & CDW. No wonder it's knackered.

Ho hum, off to visit the PSU shop tomorrow.

R

ams4127 20:00 04 Feb 03

I've just checked mine! Same PSU running MB, athlon, geforce, sound card, HDD, DVD, CD-RW, Zip, Firewire, USB hub and ISDN card.

I'm following you to PSU shop.....I never thought of that!!

ams4127 20:01 04 Feb 03

I've just checked mine! Same PSU running MB, athlon, geforce, sound card, HDD, DVD, CD-RW, Zip, Firewire, USB hub and ISDN card.

I'm following you to PSU shop.....I never thought of that!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…