Hard drive crash - protecting my data (Evesham)

Andy R 10:49 19 Aug 04

I've just suffered a hard drive crash on my Evesham PC. Luckliy it's my second drive (D drive) that's gone, but this contains image backups of my C drive and so a lot of sensitive data.

Evesham's technical support people have been very helpful (as always - great firm to buy from) and an engineer is due to call next week to replace the drive. However, Evesham tell me he has to take the old one with him as it is under warranty and has to be returned to the manufacturuer's.

I explained that there is sensitive data on the drive which could be accessed and I am not happy about releasing it. The response was that I could pay them to keep my broken hard drive! What's going on here? How can I ensure my data is kept private? Is this common practice? Can I erase the data with the help of a strong magnet in the vicinity? I'd be interested in your thoughts and ideas.

Computertask 11:06 19 Aug 04

If any of my customers have the same problem, it is true that the drives normally get returned to the Mfr.

If you imagine that most Mfr's get 1000's of hard disks back every week. What they normally do is dump the platters (internal disks) and repair the drive and add new disks inside the unit.

They wouldn't normally be bothered about looking at anybody's data - would be counter productive and also definately not make commecial sense. Also I would think that is this was ever found out that they would be in a bit of trouble, not only legally, but with a slagging off in forums like this.

I expect that evesham will allow you to pay for the drive and keep it - you would then be able to destry it, or even open it up to take a peek if you are interested in the internal workings.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about it - hope this helps...

Scillonia 13:22 19 Aug 04

Had a similar case when working for PCW, doctor insisted on keeping a failed HDD. After hours on the phone, someone at managerial level revealed that under the terms and condition (small print) the doctor was entitled to keep the failed drive. Read your terms and conditions carefully, you may be lucky.

carver 20:45 19 Aug 04

If you are only concerned about the data being accessed, I suggest you find a firm that has a magnectic table(the sort that grinders use to hold metal objects still) put in on that and turn it on. That will wipe any data that is on the drive.

Baring that you will just have to allow them to send it back as it's under warranty and for most firms it becomes their property after they replace it.

spuds 23:12 19 Aug 04

This is a problem that crops up quite regular. The only way that you can protect your data is by having back-ups of the hard drive. If a problems occures then it would be a simple task to erase data stored. Evesham have made an offer that they are prepared to let you have the faulty hard drive at a fee. Evesham would have paid for this hard drive,and by supplying a replacement they will need to cover their losses. The hard drive manufacturer will give a credit to Evesham for the faulty unit when it is delivered back to their company.You will get a replacement hard drive at no cost to you, Evesham will get paid by the H/D manufacturer. If you want to safeguard your data, then the only solution is to 'buy' the faulty unit.

Forum Editor 23:40 19 Aug 04

or let it go.

I'm wondering what the 'sensitive data' can possibly be. Presumably you have backed up the files to some kind of removeable media - the natural thing to do if the data is sensitive? That being the case I suggest that you find a strong magnet and leave it on top of the drive for 24 hours, then turn the drive over and leave the magnet on that side.

The chances of anyone at the manufacturers caring one iota about what's on the drive are negligible - we all tend to assume that others will be breathlessly desperate to read our letters to the council about last week's early collection of the wheelie bins ....but they're not.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:40 20 Aug 04

I cannot rsist this...if your data is *so* sensitive then paying to destroy and *protect* it will be a cheap price.........you may give my regards to all those at 85 Albert Embankment, Vauxhall Cross.

G

Dorsai 19:08 20 Aug 04

ah!

MI6.

lol.

Andy R 09:21 26 Aug 04

Thanks for your comments/advice everyone. Sadly my data is nothing more exciting than some personal financial stuff - sorry to disappoint!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…