Halifax debit card online "Chip 'n Pin"

Stuartli 14:40 28 Sep 06

The Halifax has sent an e-mail today to state it will shortly be introducing a "Chip 'n Pin" style feature when using its Visa Debit Card online, only in this case it will be a password rather than a number.

It's been tagged Halifax Secure and is in addition to the current online fraud guarantee protection if you use online banking.

More details at:

click here

Jackcoms 14:52 28 Sep 06

It's taken them a long time to catch up.

NatWest have been doing this for their debit and credit cards for at least 18 months!

Stuartli 15:39 28 Sep 06

Probably because most online retailers currently ask for the three figure number on the signature side of a debit or credit card as a security precaution.

I've never had any problems or doubts about using my Halifax Visa debit card online for under £100 purchases as the backup is basically the same as for my LloydsTSB Trustcard.

leo49 16:17 28 Sep 06

I was rather puzzled when I received that email as Ebuyer have been utilising Halifax secure verification on Visa purchases since at least June 2005[I know this as that's the date I created a Roboform pass for it].

leo49 16:20 28 Sep 06

Perhaps they mean it's been extended from the Visa credit card to the Visa Debit card?

Stuartli 16:40 28 Sep 06

The Halifax debit card was originally a Switch card.

josie mayhem 17:51 28 Sep 06

Switch card, I've had a halifax debit card for near 20 years it was always solo until recently when it changed to visa electron or is it electon with out the visa! but never know it to be switch.

leo49 17:58 28 Sep 06

Relevance?

Stuartli 18:54 28 Sep 06

Different companies (I assume). My particular Halifax debit card has been Switch for many years but, to my surprise, the latest new card is Visa backed and, in addition, doesn't expire until 2009 rather than 2007.

josie mayhem

Solo is operated by Switch Card Services Ltd; Visa Electron has a agreed spending limit IIRC and is mostly for younger customers.

leo49 19:10 28 Sep 06

My Halifax debit card is also Visa backed and was issued in September 2004[replacing Switch at that time], which is why I couldn't see why they didn't apply Halifax Secure to both credit and debit cards at the same time.

The take up by traders for the verification on the credit visa seems to be very patchy - I can only think of four firms I've come across that utilise it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…