Great scam so be warned

Ellen G 13:44 28 Sep 10

I'd never heard of this one before, so I'm posting you details here. Watch out. I thought I was pretty clued up but got caught (by someone I knew).

IT consultant who'd helped before installed two paid for antivirus and antimalware programmes on laptp after clean reinstall. I paid him abut £30 for each, which he said was below usual price. Any problems, he'd come round and fix it. He downloaded software from a CD and his USB. Both worked once. Updated and scanned. Next time, a month later, neither would update and asked me to install a new version. I rang the IT consultant as I imagined that I would need a license number for the paid version. Or, he might come round as he'd promised. Instead, he told me to go to 'his' website but it was a well known site that offers free programmes. I downloaded what I needed and realised that I'd had no proof, nor advantage of the previous 'paid for' version. Yes, I felt a twat.

If you get a paid for version, you should get the license number etc. I should have seen it, but I trusted the man.

I've contacted Trading Standards as well. It's a clever ruse.

interzone55 17:20 28 Sep 10

A lot of small computer shops do this, and I imagine a lot of people get conned by this.

My local shop sells so called "full" versions of AVG, but they only have 6 months of updates, then you need to pay for further updates.

Probably a bit grand calling this guy an IT Consultant...

john bunyan 17:45 28 Sep 10

Dont bother with paid for versions.
Get a good free anti virus, such as Avira or Avast, or MS Security Essentials, and Superantispyware plus Malawarebytes anti malware, and also Spywareblaster. Try to get money back!!

spuds 15:52 29 Sep 10

If you look at some seller recovery disks for sale on eBay, you will likely find some are from free download sources. Perhaps this is what your IT consultant used?.

You could have done the same job for a £1.00 or so.

Proclaimer 15:57 29 Sep 10

Norton Internet Security is great value for money and can protect 3 PC's with one licence working out at about £7.00 per PC per a year.
Bargain.

tullie 19:30 29 Sep 10

NIS is advertised at £69.95

KremmenUK 07:45 30 Sep 10

Not from Amazon UK it's not

£45.99 from a RRP of £49.99

DippyGirl 12:13 30 Sep 10

Someone who knows 100 different ways to make love - but has never had a (delete as appropriate) boy/girl-friend

Clapton is God 13:06 30 Sep 10

Ignore what Proclaimer proclaims.

There is no need whatsoever to pay for anti-virus or any other security (anti-malware) software, unless you're happy to spend your money unnecessarily.

ronalddonald 19:18 30 Sep 10

How did you get hold of this consultant, yellow pages, rec from a friend how? be good to know who they are so they we are not preyed upon.

Ellen G 20:11 30 Sep 10

Thank you for your sympathy.

ronalddonald, I think I found my man in the Yellow Pages, but he'd worked for me before and seemed good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now