Graphics Upgrade

Falk 22:39 28 May 05

I have an AMD Athlon 3200+ with 1Gb Ram and currently use a Radeon 9800 128mb. The PC is primarily used for gaming with work and general internet browsing secondary. After looking at the Graphics feature in the magazine I was wondering whether it would be worth purchasing a new card, I have approximately £150 to spend and noticed some cards in the magazine for around that figure however I am unsure of the improvement and whether it is worth the change.

Any help most appreciated.

Totally-braindead 22:47 28 May 05

Have a look here at their graphics charts click here but I presume you're like me and only have AGP rather than PCI Express.

Falk 23:01 28 May 05

Thanks I had a look around the site, the charts are good but Im looking to compare the performance of my current card with cards around £150. I know it is inferior but Im wondering whether, as I play games often, it is worth the price to upgrade to one of the newer cards within my price range.

(If I overlooked this information on the site you provided I apologise in advance)

Falk 23:02 28 May 05

As for the AGP/PCI Express Im afraid Im not sure about that or how to check.

You will get a considerably better card for £150 as you can probably see from Totally-braindead's link but it will only be worth it if your current 9800 is struggling with the games you play.

Once you go past about 25-30 FPS, you cannot see any differnace at all, so although it will be a higher FPS, I doubt you'll notice it.

By the time games are making your 9800 struggle, you could buy an even better card for £150. Of corse this only applies if it isn't struggling at the moment.

As for AGP / PCI Express, unless your changing your motherboard, you will have AGP

Megadrive 09:31 29 May 05

I would keep the ATI9800 for the moment and hold on till DirectX 10 pops up you would be better off buying a AMD64 CPU and Motherboard if you fancy spending money on your PC click here

If you have to get a new card for £150 I would be looking towards a 6600 GT which is a much better card than the ATI9800 and gives you a leap in performance when using the high quality settings and turning up AA and AF which is a thing that makes the ATI9800 show its age.And it also gives you DX9b and DX9c which allows for much better effects and overall image quality in newer supporting games with a comparable 40% performance increase.

Megadrive 09:32 29 May 05

Ohh yes with that 3200XP you will be looking for an AGP card.

Totally-braindead 11:57 29 May 05

Reading what others have said, especially [email protected] I think he may have hit the nail on the head, if you don't have any game which is struggling then wait, as what you can get now for £150 you will probably be able to get in 6 months time for £100 and in the meantime, if you had the latest most fantastic card available you probably couldn't tell the difference between it and what you have already. By the way I have a FX5900 which is not as good as your 9800 and it plays everything without a glitch, including the newest games. When I upgrade, in a year or so maybe, I'll be buying a new motherboard probably as PCI Express seems to be the way to go.

wjrt 12:46 29 May 05

click here

a hidden advantage of PCI-E perhaps

simonp1 13:06 29 May 05

Is your System PCI or AGP......

Do you play a lot of online gaming...if so upgrading does improve your gaming experience.

I had a 9800Pro..great card for the money, then moved to a 6600GT and was worth the investment...improved graphics qualitity and speed on FPS..

I have now moved on to a 6800GT and another big improvment in performnce...

For £150, you maybe be able to get a 6800LE..and that would be even better than the 6600GT as you have more pipe lines and can unlock the other pipes lines to a full 16..

Falk 15:58 29 May 05

As it seems most people are suggesting to wait for a period of time I'll probably do that and may look into getting an upgrade to my CPU when I get a new card as suggested.

Thanks for all the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…