graphics cards

philvox 15:12 26 Jan 04

Looking for a pc system ( £1000) to capture/edit video. (e.g. Athlon AMD or Pentium 4, 512mb Ram, 120GB HD)
Have found various systems but a bit baffled by "graphics/capture cards"...i.e. can an nVidea 5200FX 256MB graphics card capture analogue (vhs) video and DV and then process it to digital ?
(assuming that edit software suitable) or would I need addit' outboard equipment 1.e. a breakout box etc ?

Or do I need a Radeon 'All In Wonder' graphics card to do this in one operation ?

Phil

duckers 00:54 27 Jan 04

.. a radeon 'all in wonder' card does it all, and is a good solution, Alternatively matrox are a very good manufacturer of video editing equipment.
If its a video editing machine look at something with a big (200gb) plus hard disk and 1gb of ram,,, I see no reason at all why a grand wont get you that as most modern systems at that price are made for gaming and a big lump goes on the graphics card,
try the usuak manufacturers ilke evesham, mesh, etc who will most likely have a system specifically to do video editing.

philvox 15:36 30 Jan 04

Cheers for the advice Duckers.. I'm off with my grand in my pocket...not literally tho' for any would be muggers out there !!

byfordr 15:53 30 Jan 04

Hard drives have never been cheaper...you can get a 200gb hd for just over £100 click here May work out cheaper to put a second hard drive in yourself than upgrade a lower capacity drive to a higher capacity one when speccing up your machine. Just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos