Graphics Card Upgrade?

Henrik Ibsen 17:16 22 Jun 05

Hello,

Can anyone tell me whether a system spec such as this would be okay for running a game like 'Thief: Deadly Shadows' if I were to upgrade it with a top-of-the-range GeForce graphics card (this is the only game I'm interested in):-

Intel Pentium III 933Mhz 256Mb SD-RAM 20 Gb Hard Drive On-board Intel Graphics Soundcard Network Card CD-Rom + 17" Monitor and XP Pro

Best Regards,

Henrik

Henrik Ibsen 17:16 22 Jun 05

Also, can anyone tell me if having 256 SD-RAM is any real difference from having 256 DDR memory? I take it that DDR is merely something that becomes possible through the new motherboard and general specs?

The reason I ask is that I was wondering how much effect increasing the memory would be. I don't think upgrading to 1.2 or 1.4 Ghz would be a good idea considering the costs involved and the, apparently, minimal effect?

Henrik Ibsen 17:41 22 Jun 05

I was thinking about using this card - XFX Geforce Fx5200 128 MB AGP Graphics Card from:-

click here

Megadrive 20:58 22 Jun 05

There is no point upgrading to a top of the range gfx card im afraid.

Your CPU would bottleneck that system. Also that 256 SDRAM is indeed inferior to DDR RAM that offers 50% + performance boost at minimum to your SDRAM.

Now upgrading to a 1.4ghz CPU may help however your FSB will be limited by your motherboard which we would need to know as you may be as fast as you can get already.

To be honest if you were serious on playing newer 3D games on your system you could build a budget PC very cheaply or buy an Xbox.

However if you did put a FX5200 yes it would play the game but at the lowest resolution and quality settings and moore likely @ AGP 4x as to AGP 8x.

Post your motherboard and how much you have for your project and we will see what the best move..

Post your motherboard so we can see if a cheap CPU upgrade would be any good for you.

Henrik Ibsen 22:39 22 Jun 05

That may prove to be a bit of a problem. The reason I'm asking this question is because that system has become available to me for £100 and I don't really want to miss out. This does mean, however, that I don't know what motherboard it's got unless I go back to where it's being sold and make enquiries.....and I'm working for the rest of the week.

I know that it's an RM model, though. Does that help at all?

Aspman 10:31 23 Jun 05

RM use lots of different suppliers for motherboards but they are off the shelf models. If you can get a look inside the case you should be able to ID the board.

It'll be an Intel 815 chipset with onboard graphics. The AGP slot (if it has one) is 4x.

It would make a good office or second pc but it'll probably disappoint you when playing modern games.

TomJerry 10:58 23 Jun 05

a few points

(1) It is the good deal at that price.

(2) Nothing you can do about memory, DDR may not be supported, but you may be able to add more

(3) Win XP may not be legal copy

(4) It can not run the game you want to play

System Requirements for your game

Windows 2000/XP (95/98/ME/NT not supported)

P4 1.5 GHz or equivalent

256 MB RAM

64 MB video card, Direct3D 9.0, and Pixel Shader 1.1

DirectSound 9 compatible sound card
3 GB free hard disk space

4X CD or DVD drive (DVD required for European versions)

Keyboard and mouse

TomJerry 11:13 23 Jun 05

If you keep an eye on special offers come with newpapers etc.

Even better deals at Dell outlet

Henrik Ibsen 18:16 23 Jun 05

Okay, I can get a Geforce 4 graphics card, which I'm told should solve most problems and I imagine I could get some cheap memory from ebay. Furthermore, I'm thinking it may be possible to attach a DVD by linking up my laptop with the new PC.

I know from the source that the copy of WinXP IS legal and, in terms of the game itself, I don't mind playing on the lowest settings. So, there are two main things that worry me:-

1) The alleged 3GB hard disc space. Is it really going to take that much? The PC does have 20GB in total which can easily be increased, but at a cost.

2) The processor. I know that P3's used to be the big thing, but are now even less upgradable than the Celeron. Plus, the possibility of getting hold of a 1.2 or 1.4 is both rare and expensive. Furthermore, it wouldn't necessarily solve my problem since, according to some sources, the difference between a 933 and a 1.2 or 1.4 is negligible.

I could, of course, buy an entirely new system or overhaul the motherboard and the rest of the system, but that kind of defeats the object of doing things on the cheap as I neither want nor need a full-on monster games PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…