Graphics card enquiry

robertmonkford 14:23 27 Dec 10

I currently have an Ati 5850 1GB GDDR5 Graphics card and am seriously thinking of changing my graphics card in the next 3 - 4 months. Unfortunately I cannot decide whether to upgrade to 2 5870s or 1 5970.

My current configuration is:-

Asus Rampage II Extreme
i7 920 OC to 3.6 GHz
Prolimatech Megahelems with 2x Akasa Silent 120mm fans (1 3pin, 1 4pin PWM)
6GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz C8 RAM
Coolermaster Pro M Modular 850w PSU
Harddrive = 1.5TB, 2x 500GB, 320GB
Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS

Does anyone have any opinions / comments on whether I'd be better off with a dual or single graphics card?

Thank you.

tigertop2 17:29 27 Dec 10

I was quite keen to go for a dual GPU set up when I did my last main build. I installed two ATI 4870's in Crossfire. All worked well but these two big cards hang over useful PCIe slots. I want to upgrade to bring SATA6 and USB 3 on to my Asus P6T mobo so will be probably getting an Nvidia 570 or a 580 if my piggy bank allows. Either of these cards should easily surpass the two 4870s. Less power is used and I get my PCIe slots back for the Sata and USB upgrade card

I would tend to go for a go single card unless you have a reason to go Crossfire or Sli

citadel 18:26 27 Dec 10

you can get a 6970 now' uses less electricity'

robertmonkford 19:35 27 Dec 10

I can see your point there. I've never had a dual graphics card system and I have heard of driver issues etc with systems operating dual, triple or even quad graphic card setups. Even the company I bought mine from suggested a single card setup rather than dual etc. That said, I thought I'd ask here to get other points of view.

citadel: Is the 6970 much better than the 5970 then?

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Any other comments?

tigertop2 10:04 28 Dec 10

What do you want your upgraded PC to do. Video editing or games or graphic design or just plain everyday web browsing, email and maybe a letter or two? Knowing that will help determine what you need in a graphics card.

Having glanced through this article click here, I'd say the 5970 is a more powerful card than the 6970.

robertmonkford 14:11 28 Dec 10

@ Tigertop2: I use my PC for photo editing, email, web-browsing, DVD viewing, listening to music and typing; however, I also use it for a great deal of gaming too.

@ [email protected]: Thanks, that's what I figured. Despite the 6000 series being more energy efficient and having the improved technologies, the performance deficit over the 5970 was just too much to ignore - at least in my opinion.

tigertop2 15:59 28 Dec 10

If you are seriously in to gaming you might want to move onto 3D, maybe not now but in the future. That will mean a new 3D capable monitor of course (selection of which is a whole new problem area) but at present it also means an Nvidia GPU card. I use the Nvidia 460 1GB version which can handle pretty well anything I try on gaming and the 3D quality is excellent as well

citadel 22:20 28 Dec 10

gtx580 1.5g single gpu and faster than 5970 2g. if you are not loyal to ati.

The ATI 6000 series also supports 3D

carver 09:40 29 Dec 10

Why not just add another 5850, quieter runs cooler and you will not find a game that 2 of these cards can not handle.

Unless you just want to boast to your mates about the benchmarks you can achieve.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now