Graphics card to display 37" plasma

teej06 20:23 11 Feb 07

Thanks for reading my thread...

I have a hp pavillion t350 - 2.8Ghz, 2048Mb RAM and windows XP. im trying to run and have successfully run a 37" plasma screen off a matrox p650 128mb dual dvi agp card (yes i did need a vga connector) - however, the picture quality was pretty poor and even playing around with the screen resolution and refresh rate, pixellation was pretty bad.

anyone with any suggestions on an agp 8x card that would somewhat improve the display on a 37" phillips plasma screen?

i will want to play games and have a 200 quid budget... :) thanks.

I'm more inclined to think that you didn't set the resolution to the Plasma's native resolution than it being a problem with your graphics card.

Try setting it at a resolution of 704 x 480 or 640 x 480.

Stuartli 20:49 11 Feb 07

I may be wrong, but IIRC the resolution is 720x576 (at least for MPEG2).

I'm not really sure myself what the native resolution of a plasma screen is. I just assumed it would be standard definition (unless it's a high def set) where I got the resolutions from click here

teej06 21:14 11 Feb 07

i get a picture ok... its just not very sharp. i mean the card i suppose is powerful enough to display an image so should be adequate...

im not really sure why im disappointed. i just expected a sharper image when playing games... more definition.

is it unresonable to expect an image as sharp as the one i get when playing a DVD off a DVD player as the one i get when playing a DVD on my pc?

De Marcus™ 21:18 11 Feb 07

Until we know what your plasma screens native resolution is we can only offer conjectured advice. (make and model would help determine this)

The first mistake most people make in this instance is assuming that because they have a large TV they must increase the resolution to compensate. This isn't true. Most large screens have standard (for the purpose of pc connections) resolutions set at (or around) 1024x768, 1280x1024 or 1920x1280 (not including the obvious widescreen resolutions).

The second mistake is assuming you need a powerful graphics card to display on a large tv, you don't. The same applies to LCD TV's as does your desktop PC monitor. If you can play a game now with your current setup, you'll be able to play it at the same resolution on your larger TV.

I've connected a few large screen TV's to media centre's, some with rubbish graphics cards and some with great ones, they all look the same unless you begin to play games, if this is the point you experience pixellation then you need to upgrade your GPU, if however your experiencing pixellation without demanding anything from the graphics card then the problem lies in the setup of the equipment at present.

Stuartli 01:29 12 Feb 07

More info at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…