Graphics Card Advice

Ski-lo 15:52 04 Jan 06

I am looking to purchase a computer from MESH with this motherboard:
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX

With this graphics card:
256MB nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT - TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express

If in the future I wanted to upgrade the graphic memory of my computer am I limited to buying the same graphics card again to work in tandem with the existing in an SLI configuration? Can I even do that with the 7800 GT (my knowledge on the workings of dual graphics cards is minimal).

Alternatively for the same price I can get:
2x 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT - DVI - SLI Configuration

flyingbrit 00:24 05 Jan 06

Just been looking at comparison between 1 7800 and 2 6800 ultras, it seems as though in these tests the 2 ultras came out on top but by no more than 20%, although the 7800 was a Gainward water cooled job. (it's a bit of an animal!) Personally I'd go with the 2 6800's, and as for adding another 7800 of a different make I've seen that it is possible but I think it's recommended that they are the same.(sorry I can't put you a link to the comparison site but I put in google "7800 compared to 2 6800" without the quotes)

redmark 01:47 05 Jan 06

Yes, the 7800GT is SLi compatible. Yes, you would need to pair it with an identical card (definitely spec/chipset, preferably manufacturer) in the future.

The point to consider is when you would expect to want to upgrade; e.g. if you play FPS's, probably sooner than if you play RTS's. Than you need to estimate the likely cost/spec requirement/availability at that time.

If you anticipate needing/affording an upgrade sooner rather than later, I'd go for the 7800GT now, with an easy obvious upgrade to come. If you want better performance now and anticipate needing an upgrade later (and don't want to tie yourself into getting a specific card, when you may actually by then have the money/game requirement to buy 2x9800GTs or whatever we're on by then), then go for the 2x6800's.

Ski-lo 04:14 05 Jan 06

Thanks for the advice.

I don't anticipate upgrading for a few years so I think I will go for the 2 6800's to last me until then.

flyingbrit 18:18 05 Jan 06

Good gameing, enjoy, I think you'll be dead chuffed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…