Graphics Card

mun 13:14 30 Jul 04

Hi can someone steer me in the right direction??
I'm building a new PC from scratch (ABIT NF7-S2 mobo with 512MB RAM, Athlon XP 2800 etc) and wanted to put a half decent video/graphics card on the machine. I don't play games on the PC but I watch DVD's and would use applications requiring DirectX (one of which is a realtime 3D display needing minimum 64MB's RAM) -so I thought a RADEON 128MB card eg 9600 Pro should fit the bill and allow me to upgrade to a TV tuner card later. One benefit of the 9600Pro is that it gives dual monitor display.
Here comes the problem I feel: I'd like to future proof this a little and allow for another pair of monitors to be added later. I've never had more than 1 monitor but I understand that having 2 running thru the AGP adaptor, I could then attach another graphics card running thru one of the PCI adaptors. However, there seems to be a very limited supply of ATI derived cards for the PCI adaptor. nVidia seems to have loads more. Since this site has warned before of mixing graphics cards, should I be now looking for a solution from NVidia for both the AGP and PCI adaptors?? Other reviews have slated the Nividia FX range so now I'm getting dizzy!

Any advice would be gratefull received.
John

zootmo 15:17 30 Jul 04

video cards are pretty good in my experience. I too have read some negative reports on Nvidia. ATI call their multi-vision tasking "Hydravision" for more info on what you want click here their 9600 128Mb card will do all that you want and more!

mun 09:28 01 Aug 04

hi Zootmo, thanks for the reply. Sounds like you're saying this type of card will more than cover my needs. Do you (or anyone else) have any experience of the ATI PCI adaptor cards???
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…