Got a glitch with Word.

jak_jaa 14:00 19 Feb 03

Something appears to be causing a conflict. Word loads and works fine (2002) but click on either 'File' or 'Tools' on the toolbar at the top and it kicks me out with the message that Word has encountered a problem and needs to close.Sorry for the inconvienience. Inconvenience is not the right expression it is just infuriating. Anyone any suggestions as to what could be the problem?

Djohn 14:50 19 Feb 03

Not sure of problem, but if you put your CD in and choose, "Repair word", then it will do so, and replace any damaged files without altering your setup. J.

jak_jaa 15:39 19 Feb 03

Thanks Djohn. Tried that and it hasn't worked!

Djohn 16:08 19 Feb 03

If you are using Win XP, then try a system restore, if on 98se then, Start/run, and type SFC in the box, that may fix it for you, it will certainly find any corrupt files and ask if you want to replace them.

VoG™ 16:42 19 Feb 03

When this error occurs, what message is revealed if you click on the Details button?

jak_jaa 19:21 19 Feb 03

Again Djohn, tried that, didn't work.
VoG
Message is as follows.....
AppName: winword.exe
AppVer: 10.0.2627.0
ModName: winword.exe
ModVer: 10.0.2627.0
Offset: 00828f2
...is that any help?

Djohn 19:41 19 Feb 03

jak_jaa, don't worry, VoG™ will fix it when he reads your post!

tbh72 19:50 19 Feb 03

Have you installed other software which may have caused this error. If so it could be a simple problem of updating DLL files? Just a thought?

VoG™ 23:30 19 Feb 03

I cannot find anything relevant to the particular error that you are experiencing. Errors in Word are commonly caused by corruption of the default document template NORMAL.DOT

Exit Word. Try doing a search for NORMAL.DOT (ensure that you include hidden files in the search) and rename all to ABNORMAL.DOT

Restart Word

bigdamouk 03:02 20 Feb 03

why is this in Consumerwatch???

jak_jaa 19:07 23 Feb 03

bigdamouk - sorry. Didn't check where I was first, typical woman!!!. VoG and Djohn, thanks for your help. Checked out Microsofts Knowledge base and found exactly what I needed and cleared the problem and yes, you were right, it was the normal.dot - article no: 319154. Ta very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…