Good Value for money?

bmachy 10:40 29 Jan 08

I'm going to go to university in the new 2008 academic year.

Is it worth getting a laptop now or is it better to wait and purchase one just before I head off?

The laptop which interests me currently is the PACKARD BELL BG46-P-004 which costs around £600. Will its specs be out of date by September-ish?

* Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo T5450 Processor
* (1.66 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB Cache)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
* 2GB Memory
* 160GB Hard Drive
* 12.1" Brightview
* External Slim ODD Optical Drives
* Wifi Enabled
* Built in Camera
* INTEL 965 GM Graphics Card Type

Main usage is just student related work like typing documents, sending emails and using it for a multimedia device.

Simsy 11:14 29 Jan 08

I notice that it's only a 12" screen? Are you sure that's big enough??

Regarding when... well if you need it now get it now, otherwise I'd say wait until nearer the time. A similar machine will be be cheaper by then, or a better spec one will be available at the same price. That's the way it is!

But get it in good enought time to get used to it before you go!!

Also... GET A BACKUP EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE!!!

The last thing you want is your PC to be stolen. It happens all the time. The PC can be replaced, but the work you have on it can't!!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Totally-braindead 11:48 29 Jan 08

Check out the price of insurance as well in case of theft or damage.

Clapton is God 12:34 29 Jan 08

And buy at least a 3-year accidental damage insurance policy.

Students and laptops aren't generally a good mix. ;-))

The 12th Man 14:57 29 Jan 08

... that you should wait until nearer the time to buy. As Simsy says, you can get something better at the same price or taht spec cheaper.
You could get an external back-up device or alternatively, you can look at online storage. You can get 2GB for free and that should be more than enough for word documents and things. Maybe a combination of the two?

While theft and accidents do happen, extended warranties can often add 50% to the price of a laptop. You might be better off putting that in a savings account and call on it if you ever need to. It's a gamble but, if you have everything backed up, it's only money.

bmachy 17:14 29 Jan 08

Cheers. I've decided to wait a couple of months before I buy a new laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…