Is this a good price for an External HD ?

freaky 21:10 22 Jan 07

I was in PC World this evening and saw a Toshiba 160 GB External USB 2.0 HD selling for £59.97.
a) 7200 rpm
b) Average read seek: 8.9 ms
c) Dater buffer: 2 MB

Supplied with all cables and transformer. The drive is encased in an alloy container, and it can be mounted vertically/horizontally. Has it's own on/off switch and a power indicator.

Is this good value ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:18 22 Jan 07

£64+postage for 250Gb WDigital drive....click here and £62 for a 250Gb LaCie.

G

Diodorus Siculus 22:05 22 Jan 07

click here

300GB £70 delivered

anskyber 22:52 22 Jan 07

I've got the Lacie that GANDALF <|:-)> has linked. It's spot on.

freaky 12:28 23 Jan 07

Thanks for the links but I decided to buy the Toshiba as they have a good reputation, and have used their equipment for many years without problems.

In the manual they state rather than switch the drive off via the on/off switch, you should "click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray, the drive will then dismount, and you can then safely switch it off".

Was not aware that this was necessary, on my other PC which also has an External Drive I just switch the drive on/off via the switch.

Can anybody advise why you need to do this?

vinnyT 13:39 23 Jan 07

It's supposed to prevent you from disconnecting the device (HD, thumb drive, etc) while it is being written to, this prevents file corruption and, in the case of HDs, damage to the read/write heads.

Having said all that, providing the read/write led (assuming there is one) is not flashing, I just switch off or pull the usb lead out.

freaky 16:02 23 Jan 07

This Toshiba drive has an LED which glows blue in stand-by and red when it's running. So provided it's showing blue then I can safely turn it off without using Safely Remove Hardware.

Often wondered the purpose of that Icon, now I know.....many thanks.

Stuartli 16:17 23 Jan 07

Hovering your cursor on the icon will indicate its purpose.

The SRH icon is only present if such devices are in use or connected.

freaky 16:40 23 Jan 07

Thanks Stuarti, I was aware of it but never bothered to use it !

freaky 20:44 23 Jan 07

I will close this subject now as the new external drive is functioning OK.

Many thanks for the support.

freaky

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…