Good mark for Curry's

PurplePenny 00:06 17 Jan 04

Overclockers didn't have the kind of monitor that I wanted, Ebuyer and PCWorld online were out of stock, so off I went to our local PC World. The monitors there were not quite what I wanted and/or a bit more than I wanted to pay. Curry's is just next door so I went there and found exactly what I wanted at even less than Overclockers or Ebuyer. I phoned Kev to come and see (he was to use it so it seemed only fair).

I won't go in to the whole of the very long and complicated story that was our buying experience .. it took us the best part of an hour. The built in speakers didn't seem to be working and I wanted to hear them before buying. No-one could make them work and one member of staff believed that the speakers had been broken (even knew who had done it). I asked how much discount they would give for the lack of working speakers and another assistant went to find out. Whilst he was gone Kev, who has better eyesight (well better glasses anyway) than me, noticed the tiny power logo next to a power indicator light ... so he pushed the light .... and on came the speakers.

It was here that it got even more complicated, the manager got involved and became airated, we were told that we couldn't have the monitor because it was broken .... so when we'd finally calmed the him down I asked how much discount he would give us if we showed him how to get the speakers working again ... I pressed the button and Beethoven burst out of the speakers.

I promised to cut this very long story short ... and believe me there's a lot more to it, assistants from all over the shop were coming to chat .... but the manager *did* give us 10% discount, the staff were all friendly and cheerful even when things were going very wrong, and we got a lovely monitor for even less than the price that I was already happy with (15" TFT for £178).

So a good mark for Curry's - they messed up but they put it right and gave a discount.

Penny

MichelleC 09:21 17 Jan 04

It's good to have a happy ending for a change.

And they're 'always cutting prices'...

spuds 11:10 17 Jan 04

Great story, but you haven't stated monitor manufacturers name. When you register the monitor, I would suggest that you do not mention discount,broken,on display, couldn't get it to work etc. I purchased a monitor under similar circumstances from a very well known retail outlet.Registered the monitor with the manufacturer, they were casually informed of the above, and they refused to honour the warranty.'Been used, not new' they stated!. All sorted now after long discussions,at my cost.

PurplePenny 13:57 17 Jan 04

Philips. Thanks for the warning - I wouldn't have thought of that, like you I would innocently have told them.

Penny

thisisnighthawk 14:48 17 Jan 04

and they could cut the prices more if they dumped that Linda Barker woman,

MichelleC 15:24 17 Jan 04

It's been voted the most iritating ad... and she's worth a fortune. There's hope for me yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…