Good disk cleaners and defragmenter's

Rhuddlan 17:46 10 Oct 05

A friend of mine has many files on her HDD due to her kids downloading music etc and wants her comp to speed up a bit, I have defraged for her and used disk cleanup etc, but not made much difference, anyone recommended a better

mbp 18:05 10 Oct 05

In my Honest Opinion this is what I see. Computer slow+Kids downloading Music=computer more than likely corrupted with lots and lots of malware. It comes with the free music downloads. Disk cleanup is a good move, but you have to do a thorough check for Viruses, spyware, Trojans, not only in the HDD but also in the Registry. Invest in Registry First Aid. Check for unwelcome BHO's. After cleaning out all the rubbish, defrag HDD. It is also possible to defrag Registry. A lot of patience and work ahead of you. Children downloading free music ruins more computers than all the browsing I could ever do. Get a Mac for the kids and leave the PC for the adults.

jimv7 18:17 10 Oct 05

go into google and search for A2free, adaware, spybot, ccleaner, spywareblaster, all these are free and good programmes, no need to spend beer tokens.

spuds 18:33 10 Oct 05

In response to jimv7 suggestions:

AdAware click here SpyBot S&D click here Spyware Blaster click here a2squared click here
CCleaner click here

If you require a firewall ZoneAlarm click here or an anti-virus AVG click here Avast click here

All will work fine together, all are highly recommended [choose only one anti-virus, as two installed will cause problems] all have regular updates, and the best part, all are free and do the jobs intended.

Rhuddlan 20:00 10 Oct 05

Thank you all very much for the help, already have the suggested programs and all are always up to date and work properly. Will try as mbp advised. Many thanks will report back later in the week when I go back there, Rhuddlan.

Rhuddlan 20:44 10 Oct 05

Just looking at registry first aid, I take it you would strongly recommened it?

jimv7 20:45 10 Oct 05

Try ccleaner click here its free.

Rhuddlan 20:47 10 Oct 05

By the looks of the registry first aid web page that's free too, will suggest she downloaded and installs both, and will get back to you all, many thanks, Rhuddlan.

Jackcoms 21:19 10 Oct 05

Whilst supporting the use of AdAware, Spybot, Ccleaner, A2 etc, it seems that one possible reason for the problem hasn't been suggested.

Surely, if the kids have (unhelpfully) downloaded all these music files the HDD must be getting pretty choc-a-block with garbage by now.

Obviously, if the HDD now has much less free space available it's naturally going to run slowly however much you may defrag and/or remove malware.

It might be wise to get rid of some (or all) of the rubbish the kids have downloaded to get back some of the free space and, thus, the speed.

mbp 22:03 10 Oct 05

I support jimV7's recommendations. Registry First Aid is trialware, so you can use it first. Just try to read all the instructions before hand( a pain but it helps a great deal), and read all the items to see if you recognize it before dumping. In any case there is a Restore Point option to undo your actions. I have never had any problems (4 years now) but I read everything before I push buttons. The purchase price won't break the bank, even for a pensioner. And I use it everytime I Remove any program and before I install the new program especially Anti-virus and Firewall programs.

You could also recommend transferring all Music, Photo, and other stuff on to CD's and that will free up lots of space as well, but then you need a catalogueing system, like Imatch for photos if you are into that much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…