Is this a good desktop deal?

malcolmw 07:46 08 Jan 07

My old desktop PC has recently died. I'm seeking a replacement for general home use.
No gaming, TV or video use.
I plan to buy a digital camera shortly and use the new PC for storing/processing pics.

I've just been to the Dell site and have got a price of £487.62 for a Dimension C 521 with the following specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ Processor
Windows XP Home Edition OS
XP Home to Vista Upgrade
1 year collect and return support
19" Value Flat Panel Monitor
1024MB DDR2 533MHz Memory
80GB(7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
48xCDRW/DVD Combo Drive
Integrated nVidea GeForce 6150 LE graphics
Keyboard + Mouse

The price is supposedly £70 off + free delivery.

I'm neither a techie nor do I have much time to do more research.
I have a few questions for other recent/current desktop purchasers or others of you with an eye for a bargain:

1)Are these specs fit for purpose?
2) Is this a decent deal?
3) Are there similarly specced systems currently available from other shops/makers for less?
4) Would it be wiser to wait until Vista comes along and look for XP desktop bargains in a month or so?

Thanks in anticipation of your comments.

The Kestrel 08:22 08 Jan 07

By current standards, the 80GB hard drive is small, especially if you are going to store lots of images from your digital camera. I am also surprised to see only a CDRW/DVD combo drive, most new PCs come with DVD RW drives these days.

Have a look at the Novatech site, they make a range of PC which are widely regarded as being well constructed.

mymate 10:00 08 Jan 07

I have been told that if you call Dell with your order you can haggle a bit more of the price.
I never bothered with the 1 year collect and return,but been told they do a excellent service if the computer fails,and usually get to you in 24 hours.

have you looked on Dell outlet,Be much cheaper there,for a refurbished/over order one.

lisa02 10:26 08 Jan 07

I think the X2 processor is overkill here (You don't need it, you'll never notice it) and I think the cost of it is why the other components are lacking (This is what you'll notice)... The below suggestions are sub £500 and beat the spec of the Dell overall IMO, Vista upgrades included:

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…