Good, budget computer - any recommendations?

A friend of mine is looking for a good budget computer and only has £700-£800 (including VAT)to spend. I've recommended Mesh and Evesham though Evesham is more expensive. Unfortunately, my friend was not overly impressed by Mesh's aesthetics and the resolution on their 15in TFT monitors did not seem so sharp to me either when I visited their showroom in London. Are there any others one could recommend?

I've also checked out the PC's in PC World. Is an Intel Celeron processor really that slow? How does it compare with an AMD Athlon 2400 and 2600 processor.

User-312386 22:56 17 Feb 04

why not go for the smaller places that give GOOD technical support as well click here

Thanks. I'll pass on the info.

I think he's looking for a large manufacturer for lifelong (if that's possible) technical support. Any other suggestions?

byfordr 07:51 18 Feb 04

Dell? Always some sort of deal floating around. click here click here click here Does you friend want a decent graphics card? What the computer going to be used for?

HTH

R

try ww.aclum.com also found on ebay

Thanks byfordr for the suggestions.

The computer will be used for wordprocessing mainly but he's also interested in video editing so it needs to have that capability.

Alternatively, would it be better to stick to a cheap and cheerful model and invest in a high spec one when the video editing is required, as technology constantly improves and falls in cost?

byfordr 11:49 18 Feb 04

Some of the dells have limited upgradeability like Dimension 2400 so it could prove difficult putting a graphics card in later. At the moment there is a offer on for free double memory (never a bad thing)

Technology is always coming down in price. What was once top of the range becomes tomorrows budget machine.

Having a quick look at the Evesham website you could get something like this for the money.
Axis 2600+KD2 AXIS2600+KD2FEB04 AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition 512MB ultra fast DDR RAM (PC2700) 120GB ultra fast 7200rpm hard disk drive with 8MB buffer 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9200 graphics with TV-out & DVI 17" Viewsonic E70f+SB (CRT) monitor
From £728.98 inc VAT (£620.41) Which should be able to cope with basic video editing (certainly within the scope of the home) and will certainly be ok for word processing. Leaving £60 to spend on a additional hard drive - video eats them like theres no tomorrow.

Have a look around, for the money you can get a machine that will do the job, but are unlikely to get too many luxuries like TFTs.

HTH

R

Stuartli 15:17 18 Feb 04

Why not have a look at the BareBones systems from Asus and MSI sold by Scan of Bolton (click here) under Systems - often these are reduced on its TodayOnly page.

BigPockets is selling a Packard Bell BareBones system at £279 including VAT at present as well:

The Athlon XP2100+ is sold out but the XP2000+ is still available (just six left) - all you'll probably need is a monitor if you don't have a suitable one.

click here

Thanks. I spotted that same system myself - doesn't look bad does it. I've passed on the info.

I agree with your comment regarding TFTs. When I visited the Mesh showroom in London recently, the 15inch TFT monitors did not seem as sharp as the 17inch ones. Has anyone else noticed this?

Tim1964 18:27 18 Feb 04

Thanks for the links Stuartli,
I've been looking out for a new base unit (budget) but can there be such a thing when the OS is around £160 (XP home)on it's own! The only way I see to keep the OS price down is to install win98/ME first then upgrade to XP, but that seems to defeat the object of a clean XP install in the first place. Or will the upgrade disk just need to 'see' the win98 disk and not actually install it first?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…