Gift Tokens (Vouchers)

pj123 17:44 06 Dec 03

Because I don't know what some of my friends or family would like as a gift for Christmas I thought it a good idea to get some Gift Tokens. W H Smith tokens come in different denominations but to order them on the internet the postage is £2.99 whether it is a £1, £5, £10, or £20 token.

How can they charge £2.99 for a piece of paper that would only cost 29p to post? Needless to say I didn't buy any.

Sir Radfordin 18:14 06 Dec 03

One price fits all I guess. It isn't just the postage but the staff they have to pay to meet such orders. Doesn't take much to nip into your local branch!

Could always go for Amazon as they offer e-vouchers!

Stuartli 11:15 07 Dec 03

Perhaps they are sent by registered or special delivery as the letter's content is equivalent to cash?

pj123 12:47 07 Dec 03

Sir Radfordin, I agree with what you say, up to a point. But they are still paying staff salaries whether anyone buys vouchers or not. I don't mind paying a "postage fee" like, say 10 percent plus the stamp. But £2.99 is taking the mick, surely?

Stuartli, yes that could be true as well but according to my Post Office mail book "compensation up to £1000" costs £1.25

spuds 15:04 07 Dec 03

Recently, My local newspaper were giving away 'free' cd's. If you sent a padded envelope with a 49p stamp on it, then you got the 'free' cd. The alternative, was to send a cheque or postal order for £2.99 and they would provide the padded envelope and stamp.= £2.40 for padded envelope?.

pj123 15:29 07 Dec 03

Just been into my local W H Smith shop and bought 3 x £20 and 2 x £10 vouchers. Total cost £80. Nothing extra for "staff costs", even got points on my whsmith card. So why should it cost £2.99 to get them posted to me?

Sir Radfordin 15:54 07 Dec 03

Life can be curel can't it?

But the thing is it encourages you to get up and go to the store in hope you'll buy more....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…