Getting rid of Spam

spuds 17:29 11 Oct 09

Over the years, I have trialed various spam removal/prevention programs, some similar to K9, Stop-It and Mailwasher. At present I am being bombarded with spam on a daily routine, and having been given some software vouchers, I am contemplating installing a easy to use reliable secure product.

Mailwasher Pro comes to mind, but I would consider other recommendations, possibly freebies, and perhaps use the voucher more wisely !.

chub_tor 17:36 11 Oct 09

I have used Mailwasher Pro for about 2 years having previously used the free version and quite honestly I wouldn't be without it. I went through a period when I was being bombarded with spam and Mailwasher was the only way that I could control it. Luckily for me my ISP put on better spam filters and I am relatively spam free nowadays (touch wood) but I still run all my mail through Mailwasher and that helps me weed out all the emails that I don't want to read before I boot into Windows Live Mail.

961 17:42 11 Oct 09

Yes, I've been bombarded in the past but Mailwasher Pro has sorted it and now I just don't have a problem

I would say again that it is important to resist the temptation to bounce spam

spuds 18:40 11 Oct 09

Thanks both for the input. I will leave the question open for a while before I tick as resolved.

beeuuem 19:16 11 Oct 09

I also use and recommend Mailwasher Pro

ajm 19:59 11 Oct 09

I have used mailwasher and also spamfighter. Found them both to be very good. I am now using Eset Security 4 Business and it has a decent spam filter and out of the dalily 60-70 spam messages I get, maybe only a couple pass through the filters

Chris the Ancient 08:37 12 Oct 09

I'm with Mailwasher.

I've also used it as a freebie and upgraded to Pro. It gives me the opportunity to preview and delete or download with filters I can program. Those give me a very quick idea of what to keep or not bother with.

And as stated above... do not bounce unwanted stuff as that immediately shows that an email address is a valid one.

jack 11:47 12 Oct 09

suddenly, only in the recent days or so it has diminished considerably.
I took a look at my spam box on my ISP and lo there was pages of the stuff- So I now look there just in case one I want got caught- and delete the rest.
I wonder why?
Is it the ISP has toughened up - of it it Mailwasher/other trapping it on the server
How does this work?

Chris the Ancient 17:14 12 Oct 09

Sounds like you're ISP has toughened up. Mailwasher will only look at what is ready to be routed to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant