Getting a new PC.

Dooze 18:25 27 Sep 06

Righto, hello all.

My parents are planning to get a new PC and having looked at a few from PC World, have narrowed it down to 2.

The first one is this - click here

The other is this one -
click here=

A friend also linked me to this, which I personally prefer. The only problems is it'd have to be bought online, which my parents are a bit iffy about. Also, I can't seem to find any information about it's warranty and repairs, which is causing my parents to lean towards the PC World ones as they apparently give a decent warranty as well as free home service if needed.

So yes, if anyone would be able to advise me on the PC's and also if you could explain MESH's warranty and repair details, that would be great.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your replies. :)

Dooze 18:26 27 Sep 06

Woops, forgot to link to the MESH computer.

click here

That's the one.

Totally-braindead 19:45 27 Sep 06

If you do a search on this website for Mesh you will find a lot of info - most of it bad.
Personally I have no axe to grind with them as I've never bought a PC from them but wouldn't go near them due to the numberous problems some have had.
Of the two you give a link to the first definatly has onboard graphics and its not that good onboard graphics either, the second PC the Advent has 7300GS graphics and I'm uncertain whether this is onboard or not. I would want to know whether either of these PCs have either an AGP slot or a PCI Express slot. If they didn't I wouldn't buy them as I play games and they wouldn't be much use for that. If they have AGP or PCI Express slots then its a different matter.
Regarding a PC also consider Novatech click here but remember the price you see is without the monitor - you have to add that on.

Dooze 21:43 28 Sep 06

I liked those PC's on Novatech. I've spoken to the parents and it's turned out they're not really keen on getting a PC off the internet and are now just looking at PC's from the recently opened PCW.

Had a look in there today and came across this PC =
click here

It's selling in PCW for £530 without a screen.

If anyone would be able to tell me how good this PC would be, I'd appreciate it. Having a look on another site people were saying that the graphics card was utter tosh.

So yeah, would really appreciate people's comments on that PC.

Totally-braindead 22:07 28 Sep 06

PCW are £699 for the same PC I think click here
The only thing that concerns me is, as I said above, is the graphics upgradable. The 7300 is rather poor but if you're not a mad gamer then you might be happy with it.

Before you buy anything make sure it has at least a AGP slot or better still a PCI Express slot so if you wish you can upgrade later. The rest of the spec seems quite reasonable but regarding the monitor I personally would want to see one running with a fast moving action DVD and if possible a game as some TFTs suffer from blurring when theres a lot of motion on the screen. This is perhaps not the case so much now but it was in the past.
Overall a nice enough PC.

terryf 22:29 28 Sep 06

my son has just bought 2 PCs from ebuyer for his business, for about £350 the spec looked good

RobCharles1981 22:39 28 Sep 06

what about evesham click here ????

Totally-braindead 22:40 28 Sep 06

Only problem with that terryf is his parents don't fancy the idea of buying online. I don't agree as I buy most of my stuff online but I can see where they are coming from. The advantage of buying from the likes of PC World has to be that you get the thing in your grubby little paws at the time and also if theres a problem you can see someone face to face and if necessary physically take the thing back.
PC World are expensive for some things, especially daft things like a cable but for complete systems they do some very good deals I must admit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…