A genuine small online outlet

Stuartli 13:22 02 Jun 05

About six weeks ago I decided to work out why Cherie Blair attempted to save money despite a vast joint income and made a move to investigate the e-Bay phenonemon.

It wasn't long before I set up a username and attempted to grab a bargain but kept getting knocked out in the final seconds.

Eventually I went for the Buy Now approach and bought a PentiumIII Socket 370 for my system to add a bit more punch, only to discover that it was a Coppermine version and wouldn't work on my mobo.

I remembered that you could buy an adapter to house such a CPU on a Socket 370 to cope with the slightly different pin arrangement and bought one from an American source. Still no joy, it needed six tiny jumpers, only three were supplied and a search proved fruitless.

Only answer was a "new" motherboard and a particular Gigabyte model fitted the purpose exactly. But then came the problem yet again of being denied right on the button and four or five were missed.

It was at this point I discovered the e-Bay shops and the first I visited was offering a similar Gigabyte board at a bit more than auction prices but with p and p included, had been diagnostically tested and with a no quibble warranty.

So I bought one, carefully installed it and found I couldn't get past the first heading in the Bios to elect to boot from a CD (to do an XP Pro repair installation).

I rang the vendor who first suggested trying the board out of the case to ensure there was no shorting; he then requested it be returned for testing and, if necessary, replaced. I did so on the Friday before the Bank Holiday.

Royal Mail delivered it the next day, it turned out that there was a troublesome joint under one of the IDE slots and a replacement was sent late on the Saturday morning.

RM came up trumps yet again by delivering the replacement to my house early on the Tuesday after the bank holiday and again it was set up. Still no joy, just bleeps. My son diagnosed a video problem, I had the video card checked out and discovered it had given up the ghost.

A new card from a local computer centre eventually got me under way and, in between a couple of phone calls from the vendor to check on my progress and offer constructive assistance, the system was finally put back in use.

It's not often that you come across an outlet that goes out of its way to assist its customers and that included refunding the £4 it cost to return the original mobo.

The name of this vendor? Gary Lindop, whose website is at click here and his outlet in Belgrave Road, Stoke-on-Trent.

He'll certainly be my first port of call for anything I may require in future from his stock of pre-owned and end of line computer related equipment.

But who would have guessed that I would be looking to someone like Cherie Blair in the first place - I've no time whatsoever for New Labour.....:-)

Mr Mistoffelees 14:28 02 Jun 05

I hope you have seen a big increase in performance!

Stuartli 17:29 02 Jun 05

Thankfully, yes...:-)

pj123 12:53 05 Jun 05

Good one. Now in My Postings and My Favourites. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…